Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar

Driving the children

I've been considering trading in my car for a mini van to make field trips easier. It's not such a big deal right now as it's easy to take transit during the summer but once winter comes I don't feel comfortable keeping the children in -20 at the bus stop. All my parents have said they are ok with me driving thier children and I will provide car seats.

I am wondering what time of insurance is needed, or is there special insurnace needed? I also assumed that there was but one of my dc moms (she works for an insurance company) told me it was an option but not a requirement. Also for anyone that carries it what is the average cost? I'm trying to price everything out before I jump in so I don't get in over my head

I have never owned a mini van before, any recommendations as to model, options etc? I've been looking at the Dodge Caravan as it's highly recommended and very cost effective, however I hate the look of them.. haha.

I could not imagine going back to public transit as my only option ~ my van was the best investment we ever made

Insurance wise .... I just added additional ryder for 'liability' to my vehicle policy to cover any issues both for medical costs and for 'liability' because I am transporting multiple children and if something ever happened could have multiple complainant's .... I believe it cost me like $20 a month which is in reality only 4 field trips for myself there and back using public transit and we take way more trips than that a month!

Just be careful they do not suck you into getting 'transporting for profit' ryder insurance like taxi drivers and buses and so forth have where the PRIME use of the vehicle is to transport for purpose of business cause you do not NEED that! I had that issue when I first opened and it was like $3000 a year on top of my normal insurance and I was like NO WAY ... but the dude quoting me did not 'understand' what I was wanting and when he heard 'transporting kids for field trips and to or from school' he was assuming that this was my ENTIRE business and that my van would be on the road all day everyday and therefore the 'risk' of accident that much higher :roll:
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFeet View Post
    My insurance covers the children at no additional cost.
    Out of curiosity how much liability to you have than including in your regular plan? Have they made a note on your policy that you have a home based business ryder on your vehicle at least?

IMU the standard policies only covers up to 1 million in liability ~ so if we were in an accident with multiple clients feeling the need to sue to recover for lost wages, medical expense and so forth for their child that would not go very far to pay them all and my understanding with civil suits in Canada is that anything over what our insurance plan does not cover they would be coming after the business owner personally

Which I guess is an acceptable risk if you have 'nothing' but we have our sons college fund, our home, our retirement savings and other equity I would not want to loose if ever faced with a tragedy

Also I would want it noted on my actual policy that the plan covers the 'home childcare ryder' on it for both your home insurance AND your vehicle because in the absence of stating this if you need to make a claim for ANY reason and they can claim you were not 'forthright' in disclosing this they can void your policy even if it was for something 'personal' you are claiming for .... it is in the little fine print in the definitions and clauses of things 'not covered' that most people do not read cause it is a long document!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I just went through this as we moved to a more rural area with no public transportation and where everything is no longer within walking distance. My insurance agent told me that I did not need any special insurance for transporting daycare kids, but did recommend that I get the 2mill liability instead of the standard 1mill.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: