Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paid Holidays

Paid holidays

I am new at this and I also have 2 weeks paid vacation at summer time but I wanted to know what you do as payment option. Since they are paid vacation do you require the parents to give you post dated cheques or 2 weeks in cash before starting your paid holidays

Thanks

Starting to feel at home...
    I have my parents give me a few months of post dated cheques at a time. That way if we are on holidays I simply cash them on the date.

Quote Originally Posted by ECE53 View Post
    I have my parents give me a few months of post dated cheques at a time. That way if we are on holidays I simply cash them on the date.
    Ditto! Post dates work awesome
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    What I currently have is paid stats and parents pay when they take vacation. I've been looking around at providers websites in my area and it seems to be a mix when it comes to paid vacation time. A lot have it in thier contract and a lot don't.

The Edmonton (not sure if the rest of Alberta is like this) region seems to work a bit differently in that we don't set a daily rate, we set a monthly. Fees for the month are due in full by the 1st in most cases. Providers do refunds when needed. I personally like this as I can control things a lot more and I don't have to deal with any parents trying to short me for stats, thier childs sick time etc. It's already paid in full. So having parents pay for vacation time would be quite easy.

On a side note does anyone here use email money transfer? That's how I accept payment and I love it, I would hate to get cheques from parents. Too much uncertinty.

Providers contracts are going to vary with things like this because those of us who have been doing this for eons are always looking for ways to get fiancial recognition for our experience and track record with clients while still appearing competitive with our daily rates ... So we negotiate soft sell things like paid time off , sick days and so forth and than once a few of us do that than those become common for all newbies to start out with too and we are back to earning the same as someone who just opened .... it is challenging for this industry cause we are one of the few where education , training , continued professional development and seniority in the field are not compensated for by those seeking our service - a brand new lawyer, Dr, teacher etc would not have the same wage and perks as someone who had been practicing for 20 years who's worked his/her way up to those things ... Kwim?

It is that balance of negotiating what you feel you are worth and what the market will bare - that is going to be different for us all ... I do not begrudge those new to the field who want to start out with the same contracts as those with years under their belt and I know ladies with years under belt who have way less in contracts than some of us newer people as their program and style has not changed in 25 years and well parents want a different program and so they have harder time attracting clients with their current fees and so forth raising them would put them even further out of what market will bare for their program ... we are all different ???
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

So is it Ok to say ''vacations are payable'' in my contract or not... I am on the phone with Revenu Canada at the moment and no one can answer me if yes or no I can or can not have my vacations paid and if I can mention vacations are payable in my contract or not... they say they do not decide for me if I have the parents pay my vacations or not, I decide what I want to do in my contract ?!

Yes in my understanding of this it is up to YOU what you negotiate into your contract with a client ~ there are way more 'self employed indicators' for what we do than 'employed' indicators ... which is why CRA is telling you that it is 'up to you' because you are self employed by there definition
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    In my area it isn't the norm to get paid vacation either, so alas I go without. I do get paid for stats and added Xmas eve and in lieu days to my contract this year.