Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    In her previous dayhome they had scheduled potty times and she was only allowed to go during those times..
    . Wow, I can't even imagine scheduled Potty times?! Does this work?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    . Wow, I can't even imagine scheduled Potty times?! Does this work?
    I have no idea how that would work, every hour or so send all the kids to the potty? I was amazed when I was told she used to have scheduled potty breaks. Of course this woman terminated care because the little girl wouldn't nap for 3.5 hours. She only naps for an hour and then lies quietly on the nap mat playing by herself or reading books. She respects quiet time and won't get up without permission. But the other provider terminated because her child sleeps for 3.5 hours and she wanted any child in her care to do the same. The parent has since seen the provider advertising only for 4 or 5 year olds. I think she just wasnt suited to watching younger ones and didn't know it until she had one in care.

Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    ... none of them can wipe or wash thier hands properly without assistance or coaching so I prefer to know when they are in there. I've had a few skid mark instances when they went without telling me or getting my help wiping. I've had toilet paper left in underpants for parents to find hours later, soap not washed off hands... I much prefer them yelling "I GOTTA GO PEEEEEE" haha.

I agree...

Starting to feel at home...
    I couldn't imagine scheduled potty breaks. Wow. I have a system in place where children know how to wash their hands and dry on their own before we even start the potty teaching process. That is worked on consistently and with a great deal of my aid. I do not have a child go poo without my aid for a long, long time. I was not concerned about him informing me that he had to pee, having me say "okay, I will come and check you" and then going. I was concerned that he felt like he was not allowed to go without asking permission and would pee his pants if permission was not granted in his eyes. After being fully potty taught for six months now, progression to the next stage is appropriate but was just not happening with this little guy. All is well now. Whew. Now he tells me he is going to go and I can check him and ensure all is well.

Euphoric !
    Scheduled peeing? That's insanity! Those poor little children. I'm glad this Mom smartened up and moved her son to your care. The only time the older children here are allowed to leave my toyroom is to go get a drink of water which we keep lined up on the dining room table and to go to the bathroom. They are allowed to do either of these things when necessary once they are trained. I watch to see exactly where they are going, but children have so few free choices in their little lives. They are always being told what to do. I want them to know they have freedom of choice whenever possible while at the same time learning to follow all my rules, especially for safety reasons.

Euphoric !
    Scheduled potty breaks isn't as bad as it sounds. I have three training or well now reaching the end of training and without them we never accomplished anything so I started just taking everybody every hour which is what is done in many daycare centres to teach potty and most would go when we went. The idea was they learned to hold it till the next trip. They were in pullups anyways. But there was no way I was letting them into underwear if there wasn't a length of time between trips. Otherwise a 15 minutes circletime was taking an hour and it got to the point when asked to do something like pickup suddenly they had to pee - um saw through that one. So by taking them at intervals it solved a lot of issues. That doesn't mean they couldn't ask to go unless we were in the middle of a group activity - non of them could/would go on their own which also annoyed me to the point. The point of going as a group or going at intervals was to elimante "having to pee" as a control feature for the child. Once that was gone things settled into a routine and over time we got to the point I didn't take them and they had to remind me when it was time to go meaning they reminded me when they needed to go and if they didnt' then it meant they weren't ready for the responsibility of wearing underwear.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Scheduled potty breaks isn't as bad as it sounds. I have three training or well now reaching the end of training and without them we never accomplished anything so I started just taking everybody every hour which is what is done in many daycare centres to teach potty and most would go when we went. The idea was they learned to hold it till the next trip. They were in pullups anyways. But there was no way I was letting them into underwear if there wasn't a length of time between trips. Otherwise a 15 minutes circletime was taking an hour and it got to the point when asked to do something like pickup suddenly they had to pee - um saw through that one. So by taking them at intervals it solved a lot of issues. That doesn't mean they couldn't ask to go unless we were in the middle of a group activity - non of them could/would go on their own which also annoyed me to the point. The point of going as a group or going at intervals was to elimante "having to pee" as a control feature for the child. Once that was gone things settled into a routine and over time we got to the point I didn't take them and they had to remind me when it was time to go meaning they reminded me when they needed to go and if they didnt' then it meant they weren't ready for the responsibility of wearing underwear.
    I do the same thing at my day home. We have specific times everyone goes pee, like before bed etc. We have scheduled times to check if everyone has to go. I looked at the original post about scheduled potty breaks to be that the children are going at the scheduled time only. Maybe I misunderstood that.

I am very confused by the idea of pull ups. They are just a glorified diaper and in the child's mind they are no different than a diaper. I find it to be difficult for the child to really "get" the potty teaching process with a pull up. I have a five day method that I have not had fail yet, where there are no pull ups involved at all and underwear are in place from day one of the physical part of the process. I think they need to feel wet and uncomfortable to get it and a pull up doesn't provide that experience. We have a three week prep process before day one of the physical part.

I am asking the child if they need to go on day one, day two is a combination of child telling me and me asking, day three is the same and day four and five is them telling me. Even if they are to pee their pants on day four without telling me that doesn't mean to me they aren't ready. To me it means they are little and trial and error is a part of the process.