Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So...update...I've addressed the caffeine issue (no outside food). New development; 5 year old has had a pee accident every day he's been here (despite frequent and lengthy bathroom trips...urinary tract infection possibly?). I've documented and communicated all to Mom. I also wonder if it's defiance...this little guy is a challenge; flat out "no" or total ignore to commands...extremely short attention span. I am exhausted. There is absolutely no downtime with these two. Quiet time is a joke. About an hour of me reminding. How on earth do you keep a 5 year old participating in quiet time if he can't seem to be still for even 1 minute (even at mealtimes he is up and down...requires constant reminders). He told me he was going to the bathroom; I follow after him a minute later...he's up in my kitchen going through my cupboards, or I've found him up 2 floors to my son's room playing his DS (I am really strict about daycare space boundaries...our upper 2 floors are family space and off limits). I've talked to Mom and she backs me up on any consequences I feel are necessary in enforcing/teaching. I spend so much of my day laying down the hammer that I am always shocked when they cry because they don't want to go home at the end of the day. 17 more days...but who's counting
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Forgot to add; Mom comes to pick them up and says "I've freed things up at work and have decided to take the day off to spend with the kids...is it okay if they don't come tomorrow?"....I must have had the biggest smile...almost managed not to jump for joy

~Anonymous~

Oh wow ~ sounds like that little dude needs more than a 'home childcare environment' can provide him ... at least in a centre type setting there are extra hands to support him while others are still able to be there for the other children!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Yes, fortunately this is my low time of year...and I am fortunate to have my teacher husband off for the summer to ease the load. When I even think of doing this next summer...somebody send me a virtual kick, okay?

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Wow dream, I would be exhausted too! Coffee for a child is a mindblower! But then, I didn't let my children have koolaid or pop either and wouldn't allow any of these things in my daycare either. But everything else you are describing makes me think of Judy's great advice......NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Wow dream, I would be exhausted too! Coffee for a child is a mindblower! But then, I didn't let my children have koolaid or pop either and wouldn't allow any of these things in my daycare either. But everything else you are describing makes me think of Judy's great advice......NEXT!
    Oh boy do I think of that quote about 10 times a day!! But, Mom is a single Mom; going through a tough divorce (probably explains some behaviour issues). They are opposite weeks with each parent. The Childcare providor on opposite weeks (that the father found) quit on the 2nd day. I just don't have the heart...if this was a more long term arrangement; oh for sure...find someone else! For her to have to scramble and find someone else for 3 weeks of care & uproot once again these kids during a stressful time, no. Mom already approached me to take them on the other weeks as well....I just can't and won't. Thanks for letting me vent...much needed!!

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Hey, I was a single Mom of 4 children and they were all properly nourished and dressed and disciplined! You see, that's why my children all turned out to be wonderful adults! It ticks me off when Moms use that excuse when they only have one child, haha, because it can be done and done well. And I worked outside the home all my life until 4 years ago when I started this career. It is difficult and stressful and exhausting when a child is going to two houses with two sets of rules and you throw daycare into the mix and there are 3 houses and 3 sets of rules. I understand that completely. But coffee? Let me guess, triple, triple with a donut on the side?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Some parents give coffee to their kids with ADHD as an alternative to stimulant medications.

FYI..........I think this is why for the coffee
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    FYI..........I think this is why for the coffee
    Yup this was suggested for my stepson ~ we opted NOT to because the caffeine in a growing child has nasty side effects for health as well ... choosing treatment for a child with ADHD is not easy to say the least
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Hey, I was a single Mom of 4 children and they were all properly nourished and dressed and disciplined! You see, that's why my children all turned out to be wonderful adults! It ticks me off when Moms use that excuse when they only have one child, haha, because it can be done and done well.
    Amen to this. Momof4, I applaud you and all those like you. There is no excuse for poor parenting. The kids come FIRST. Your own bullshit comes a distant second.