Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 yr old shows up with a coffee!!!

This should have been my warning! Coffee...really?! Bingo...must be ADHD. First day today with a 5 & 8 year old that I have taken for the summer (every other week). I saw in interview that this kid was everywhere in the playroom...flitting from activity to activity in seconds (with no tidy up in between). I asked lots of questions about behaviour issues; nothing divulged. So, I chalked it up to a normal, excited 5 year old in a new place (with lots of stimulii around!). 8 year old has been a wonderful helper with my other little ones (I have a 1 day overlap; being all teachers kids, the last of my full-timers, are done for the summer today). I could cry; I so have my regular group well on their way to cleaning up as they go....these 2 new kids aren't happy doing one activity for more than 1 minute! My playroom was a complete disaster in 15 minutes (doesn't help that the taller 2 can reach all the stuff I have stored on upper shelves & activity bins). We all went to our local park; 5 min. in those 2 were tired and wanted to go back to the playroom (no way!). Not to mention, 5 year old so does not listen...that won't last long here, trust me. I am exhausted and it's only 10:45am! I just have them for 4 weeks, and I'm sure it will be easier when my age gap isn't so big; so I'm not going to leave this family stuck...but tell me it gets better.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Forgot to add...8 year old has been to the bathroom at least 10 times in the last 4 hours (she did this during interview too)... What's up with that?!

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    You mean he actually brought a coffee to drink????? Parents sent him with it? I am a bit flabergasted! I would definitely not allow such a thing to come with a child! I don't do school aged care, so I have no advice, only moral support to offer! Good luck!

Expansive...
    I too can't offer much re: older kids BUT the coffee would not make it past my front door unless it was for ME!

Are they european? It's very common for kids to have coffee with a LOT of milk more like 3 parts milk 1 part coffee. Last time I visited 'backhome' my 3 & 7 year old cousin were having it for breakfast and it was a common thing there. I was like WTF? but also used to be if you can reach the counter you can get a beer & smoke. It's a bit tougher now (have to be 16...OOoooOOoo) but if they are it's a "normal" to them.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    where other than the title of this post is coffee discussed? Am I missing it?

Yeah I was kinda confused....

Please enlighten me, I want to help

Starting to feel at home...
    Some parents give coffee to their kids with ADHD as an alternative to stimulant medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Some parents give coffee to their kids with ADHD as an alternative to stimulant medications.
    Exactly; sorry, I should have clarified that one.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    wow! Really? I had no idea!

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Wow... I didn't know that about ADHD but even still I would not be ok with children having coffee in my care. Or before they come to my care haha. My 2 year son old once had a drink of my iced coffee (my head was turned BAH) and he hated it so now he stays away from it but that is the one experience I have with children and coffee. Caffine and children just do not seem to make a good mix in my head.

I have my fingers crossed for you that it gets better, perhaps ask the parents not to caffinate thier children before coming to care and see if they are better then?