Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Question How many children under 2?

How many children under the age of two is too many?
    I had a great intervew wth a provider but if I go with her she will have two babies under a year, two under 16 months plus a 2.5 year old, she will also have a 16 monthd old starting in the fall. That seems like a lot of really young kids to me...opinions?

Starting to feel at home...
    So she will have:

2 less than a year
    2 between 1 year and 16 months
    1 preschooler

PLUS a 16 month old in the fall? Are any her own children?

I think that everyone has their own comfort zone. For myself, I restrict myself to 3 under 3 because I know that's where my comfort zone is at the moment. However, that is only right now, while I've got two infants. When those infants are toddlers, I could easily handle 5 toddlers/preschoolers.

Is it possible to sit in on her care for an hour? The children won't be as behaved as they are when there aren't strangers present, but it could give you an idea of how she handles her time with all those young children.

All the best,
    Emily
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    I only care for infants and toddlers and love it that way. The playroom is like a giant playpen in the sense that there is nothing in there that the toddlers can't have such as craft supplies, small lego, barbie doll accesories, etc. The group learns together and is for the most part on the same schedule. No one is getting set to the side so the caregiver can concentrate on the other age group such as the infants confined to highchairs so the preschoolers can do a craft or the preschoolers left to entertain themselves so the caregiver can cuddle wth the baby.

If I was to be cautious about anything it would be the two under a year depending on how young they are. If the caregiver has children of her own that are close in age or many years of experience then she has likely had a similar scenerio before and knows how to make it work.

As for the 16 month old in the Fall, don't forget that all of the children currently in care will be 6 months older.

There are mothers that have trouble handling their one baby or a baby and toddler and their are mothers that have 5-6 kids and manage just fine. There are caregivers with the same qualities too. Go with what you think of the caregiver. Did she seem flustered, overwhelmed or the environment seem comfusing? Did she seem like she just naturally belonged in the setting? It isn't so much about the age of the children as it is the attitude and abilities of the caregiver. Children close in age learn and thrive off of each other and it is easier than with a spread out age range.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I only care for infants and toddlers aswell, my only rule is that I only care for one "non-walker" at a time. I think that every provider has their age preferences. I for one find that it is easier careing for a closer age group that way our activities can be tailored to their needs. I think that playfelt hit the nail on the head when she said...

It isn't so much about the age of the children as it is the attitude and abilities of the caregiver.

and...

Children close in age learn and thrive off of each other and it is easier than with a spread out age range.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    A few years ago I had a group of 5 children between the ages of 11 months - 15 months. It was the best group of kiddies I have had. They were all basically in the same developmental stage, they played well together, they grew up together etc. The only problem I had was it was a bit hard on my back lifting them in and out of the play pens.

In the fall (unless there are changes) my group will be a just turned 3yr old, 2 1/2 yr old, 17 month old, 12 month old, and an 11 month old. Like playfelt I only accept infant/toddlers.

My daycare isn't set up like a large play pen, but I love the description, lol. Instead I have separate rooms that are all connected in an L shape with half walls, for different skills or ages. I have 3 main rooms to my daycare, the gross motor area for running, jumping, dancing, riding toys, the basketball net etc, a fine motor area for more sit down play, playing with the trucks, the house, the dramatic centre, duplo, etc. I also have the learning room which is more geared towards toddlers and preschoolers. It is their special area they can go to play with smaller toys, the rice table, felt stories, colour, read books, etc. Maybe the caregivers set up might help dictate what age group or groups would work best.

I just know for me, I would rather have 5 infants or 5 toddlers or 5 preschoolers vs having a mixed aged group. For whatever reason I don't work well with a mixed age group.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    So she will have:

2 less than a year
    2 between 1 year and 16 months
    1 preschooler

PLUS a 16 month old in the fall? Are any her own children?

I think that everyone has their own comfort zone. For myself, I restrict myself to 3 under 3 because I know that's where my comfort zone is at the moment. However, that is only right now, while I've got two infants. When those infants are toddlers, I could easily handle 5 toddlers/preschoolers.

Is it possible to sit in on her care for an hour? The children won't be as behaved as they are when there aren't strangers present, but it could give you an idea of how she handles her time with all those young children.

All the best,
    Emily
    Two of the children are her own - the youngest and the oldest. I felt she is very capable - an RECE with a lot of experience and two years of working with high needs kids. Her set-up was awesome (like the giant playpen described by another poster). I really liked her it just seemed like she had a lot of small kids starting up (she's just starting her own daycare).
    Last edited by Marie999; 03-19-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Sounds like she's got a good handle on her situation then! Experience, a diploma, and a great setup sound wonderful!

Are you in Ontario? The law here allows her to watch up to 5 children, of any age, and does not include her own children.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

In BC a licensed in home day care (a caregiver without an ECE diploma) may only have 7 children present at any one time. Only 4 under 4 years, this includes only 2 under 2 yr old and the other 2 over 24 months. If you have 1 under 1 year old you may only have 3 under 4 years old (includes the 1 under 12 months) and the other4 children have to be over 48 months.

If you have your ECE diploma you may have 8 children with the ages a little more flexible.

A caregiver that is not licensed with the Ministry (Provincial) may only care for 2 children that are not theirs or 3 if 2 are siblings.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Oh, I wish Ontario would impliment having 8 children with ECE!!!! I would love to have 8 children in care, actually even just 7 would be perfect I think I miss when my girls were part of the daycare because 5 just seems so boring (else when they are settling into daycare and some can be quite challenging).
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tot-Time View Post
    Oh, I wish Ontario would impliment having 8 children with ECE!!!! I would love to have 8 children in care, actually even just 7 would be perfect
    I think I would go insane with 8 kids!!!! lol If we could have an assistant, then I would think about it....
    I obviously don't do it for the money, but maybe would just have before and after school kids - cause that would be perfect!