Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Won't go pee without permission

I have this one child who refuses to go pee unless I tell him he can. He has been potty taught fully for about six months and I am getting rather tired of him asking me if he can go pee. If I don't answer him, he will pee his pants.

I have expressed to him for about two months that he doesn't have to ask me, that he can just go on his own. I have tried no answering him and using the other children as an example when they just go on their own.

I have never in my years as a provider had this issue. Any suggestions?

I have a 4 year old that does this too! Try having the child come to you and tap you to let you know? Voices often blend & are unheard, but at least the physical touch will bring him to your attention?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    It is possible that at home he still has a parent go with him - especially if the toilets and stools are child friendly at daycare but not at home. Parents don't always know when it is appropriate for the child to go alone. I have a 4 year old that is not allowed in the bathroom alone because when he does he abuses the privilege, playing in there, messing with the toilet paper etc so he needs to let me know he is going in there so he can be monitored.

Outgoing
    My 3yo is like this. She asks every single time even though Ive told she doesnt need to. It doesnt really bother me. Id rather she do that then have an accident.

Each childs needs are different, even if we have been doing something for years and then come accross something different than what we are used to, his requesting to use the bathroom IMO, is completely acceptable. I think playfelt has probably hit the nail on the head. Also maybe he has been raised at home with the belief that he should always ask to use the bathroom. Even if he is familiar with your setting, maybe to him and his family, it is just good manners. Clearly if by not getting permission causes him to pee in his pants this is just something you will have to adjust to, to prevent accidents from happening, as this may cause distress for the child in the long run, especially if they have been trained for 6 months. I'm sure he will grow out of it but if not in my mind I just ask myself whats worse, being asked every time to go pee or cleaning pee up because I dont respond???

Euphoric !
    I have an almost 4 yr old who also announces that she has to pee even though I gave told her on many occasions that she does need to ask just go ... But she also will be playing and then spontaneously burst into tears ..... I ask what's wrong and she says "I need to go pee". I'm still reaffirming that she can just go but I am still getting this reaction. I have asked if she does this at home and she doesn't but mom thinks it was a requirement at a previous day care. Old habits are hard to break ;(

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I have an almost 4 yr old who also announces that she has to pee even though I gave told her on many occasions that she does need to ask just go ... But she also will be playing and then spontaneously burst into tears ..... I ask what's wrong and she says "I need to go pee". I'm still reaffirming that she can just go but I am still getting this reaction. I have asked if she does this at home and she doesn't but mom thinks it was a requirement at a previous day care. Old habits are hard to break ;(
    My 3yo is the same thing!! She was at playgroup today and did this exatly, got up and started crying. When I asked why she said "I have to pee" so then we rushed off to the potty before it was too late! I personally think in this case she was crying because she didn't want to miss out on any fun so was sad that she had to step away!

But then we got home and while I was preping lunch I hear in a whisper "mamma_mia I have to pee". Honestly I think she said it 4 times before I actually heard her! When I did I said "ok then GO!" and off she went! She's been potty trained for over a year and does everything on her own.....so weird!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    My own son who just turned 4 does this...I have never told him he has to ask permission and he has been trained for 2 years, so I think it is jsut a developmental thing. He doesn't wet himself or anything like that, but he always need to anounce to me that he is going to go...especially if it is poop...he will keep on shouting it out untilI respond and then he will go...and then when he's done he will shout out "I'm done!" until I respond and then he will finish up and wash his hands. I think maybe kids just feel more secure sometimes knowing that we know where they are and what they are doing.

Starting to feel at home...
    His mom doesn't go with him, but he does use going to the potty as a control tactic with her. Never thought of that. Thanks for the insight. I read this first and then had a talk with him. In a nutshell, I told him that he is a big boy now going to the potty, and I am not going to talk with him about it any more. He went after that.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    All the potty trained children in my care tell me when they have to go, as my own son does it I thought it was normal. Once they announce it I tell them to go to the potty and off they run. If they need help wiping or hand washing they then call out to me from the bathroom and I go help them.

I'm glad my 2 year old DCG asks now. In her previous dayhome they had scheduled potty times and she was only allowed to go during those times. As I don't have this when she first came she had some accidents because she would hold and hold it until "potty time" which never came! My oldest isn't quite 3 and none of them can wipe or wash thier hands properly without assistance or coaching so I prefer to know when they are in there. I've had a few skid mark instances when they went without telling me or getting my help wiping. I've had toilet paper left in underpants for parents to find hours later, soap not washed off hands... I much prefer them yelling "I GOTTA GO PEEEEEE" haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post: