Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

What would make you

email a parent during the day?

A parent received and email about his child putting his hands on another child... is this a normal email worth thing?

Outgoing
    I'm not exactly sure what your question is...either im tired or there are a few typos lol but I think I get it. I don't think this is a worthy mid-day email at work. I think that is something that can wait for pick up. I emailed mom once during the day, because I knew I could contact her there faster, and it was about him not eating lunch for the sixth day in a row.

Euphoric !
    Hmmmm, I'm with littledragon, a little confused. I email a parent if I want to remind them to send diapers or wipes, etc. because I always forget things like that at pickup time. I email one Mom daily to tell her about our daily menu because she's the only one who cares at all.

If there were an minor injury I would send an email to the Mom if she was not the one picking up the child that day, but I don't have injury forms because my daycare parents trust me. And no offense to men, but sometimes Dads don't relay messages to Moms. If a child is sick and needs to be picked up I make a phone call because I want to reach parents immediately.

So, no I would not email about a child 'putting hands on another child' because that's something I would handle with a timeout if it were a problem. If it were a consistent problem I would want help from the parents so that we were both reacting in the same manner so the child learned it was inappropriate behaviour. Hope I covered it.

Expansive...
    see what I get for trying to multitask?

In this particular instance, a day care provider emailed a parent at work and said that her child 'put his hands on' another child.

Expansive...
    If that was the case I'd be emailing my parents all the time as my DD and dcg hug and fall on eachother all day long. LOL and sometimes they push if not happy.....it happens!

That will just cause the mom to have ill feeling againts the other child. and maybe even wonder why can't the provider deal with it? Unless there will be a bruise or there was blood I don't tell them. Kids are kids....the will touch. Its upto the provider to deal with it not the parents. IMO
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Expansive...
    hummmm.............. unless this child is constantly (im assumin Hitting) the other children? I still wouldn't email the mom at work. I'd wait for PU and telk to her then, saying that it's been a bit of an issue and how to work together on fixing it. Not send her a email to get her worried all day....KWIM?
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    I hardly ever email my parents, and normally it is if I forgot to tell them I need supplies or a reminder that payment is due.
    I definitely wouldn't email them to tell them that their child hit another.

Nope not worthy IMO ~ I only email out reminders like 'just in case I forget at pick up I am closed on Friday or I need more post dated cheques, diapers, etc ..... anything of consequence where the parent is going to have 'questions' I prefer to discuss in person either on the phone or I arrange for my spouse to watch the group and do it at pick up so I can do it in private away from the children.

Whether I call on phone or wait to pick up also depends on the family ... when a child has their first 'boo boo' in daycare or they are not 100% well but not something I would 'normally' call I tend to phone them right away to give a heads up so they can assimilate it and do not walk in the door and see a bruise on their kid and think OMG why did not call me type thing or 'omg he was lethargic why didnt you call me so I could pick him up' ... and than depending on if they are am OMG family about it or a 'no big deal' future ones I will wait until pick up or I will keep calling with the heads up.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi