Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    When parent take 10-20% cut of pay for my family to be more comfortable,
    When gas station give you discount for filling two cars
    When grocery store slashes prices for larger families,

Come back to me then and we will maybe discuss.

Parent would be horrified if after asking for discount, they had to pick which of their children get 20% less food, love, heat, clean sheets, clean facecloth, cuddles or attention yet giving that discount mean our whole family gets less of all these things.

Families might want a second car but if they can't afford it, most will stick with one. When families want a second child but can't afford it, they ask day care provider to cut fees AFTER child is born. No. Not okay.

No other self employed business person is made to close the doors to their business after 4-6 customers every day. Yet with income being capped by numbers, how can any parent think that asking for a discount "does not harm"?

Shy
    Well said Suzie_Homemaker. I'm tired of the parents who think we need to help them. In my experience, these were always the parents who also ended up leaving with no notice and money owing.

Starting to feel at home...
    Also confused that parents think the only way you would be doing them a favour is by charge less for having two kids. I would charge more just for the fact that that's almost half my pay! The fact that you have 2 kids and someone is willing to give away two spots to you is a favour in its self. I had a lady that wanted me to take 12 month old twins, I considered it but then when I met with her she acted all demanding, asking for discount, food replacements etc etc...that interview ended very quickly by her existing the same way she entered.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyTwigs For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sibling children actually more work than non-siblings. They buddy up and try and rule roost. They also high risk in terms having income slashed if family moves away. Typically, parent with multi-children in care, push terms of service more, feeling they in position of power with regard small income and they often are.

To think that sibling discount would apply when this one of trickiest scenario's is naive. If anything, siblings should be charged higher rate not less. We limited in spaces and can fill spaces with single child families which more secure income.

I have additional terms I in contract for siblings due to risks. I require 4 weeks notice from either side (me and client) to term contract with no reason. If more than one child in my care, I require 6 - and I also give 6 as keeping them together can be hard short notice.

Why any parent would think that sibling discount in small dayhome is incentive for them, blows mind. It like showing up at Jaguar and asking for Honda pricing. If you can't afford two Jags at list price, then really, in wrong showroom for budget.

Starting to feel at home...
    Shop around.

Some care-providers may provide care as an income-supplement, or because the care-provider is on maternity leave, or the care-provider's main objective is to have a playmate for her child, (so they may be flexible with how much they're willing to charge). Also sometimes rates do vary depending on location, experience and training.
    A daycare that just opened up may be willing to give a discount to one or two spaces for a year, just so to get started - it's easier to get more spaces filled if you already have children since parents usually want playmates for their kids.

Don't hesitate to try to negotiate diplomatically.

Sometimes care providers are willing to bend back for someone they feel positive with. That good "chemistry" between parent and care provider at times count a lot.
    Last edited by betsy; 10-06-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    well, Quebec is the place to be! $7 daycare! Of course as a daycare provider the rest of our income is subsidized by the governement. Downside is that it's too easy and cheap for parents to send their kids to daycare, even when it may not be necessary. And instead of reserving these spots for those who need it, it's open to EVERYone. A Dr and Lawyer (so stereo-typing) have as much right to it and a single mom working minimum wage.

And because cost of system so expensive, it paid for by tax payer across whole country. If NDP get in with their promise of $15 child care across country, will be interesting to see what happen to Quebec's system when other provinces no longer have funds to donate to one.

Outgoing
    so if the government subsidizes the rest of your income....how exactly does that work....let's say I charge 40 a day....the government pays 33 /day...????

Sandylynn u can't set ur rate. If u want to set it and charge 40$ then parents pay u 40. Parents get no discount. If u want to go through a licensed agency to accept the 7$/day families then u can't set ur rates. The parents will pay u 7$ and once a mth the agency pays u the difference which is around 28$ so u'd make 35 a day. And u can not mix it. Some private at 40/day and some at 7/day. It's either or.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    so if the government subsidizes the rest of your income....how exactly does that work....let's say I charge 40 a day....the government pays 33 /day...????
    I capped. Set fee for provider. Parent pay some, tax payer pay rest. Instead of parent budget short term expense of daycare until child go school, tax payer pays more than half fee, forever.

Shy
    We still need to earn enough too as a provider, am not just giving it away, you pay for what you get, quality care costs, anyone paying someone $7, how does that person survive on such a low wage, children are a lot of work too. I charge the same rate for each child, it's a spot, no pay, no spot.