Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Just as the cost of living varies from region to region so does the service industry - heck we can't even agree on the price for gas in neighbouring communities even though it comes from the same delivery truck.

What amazes me the most is the regulations with each province saying we have these standards because they are best practice - in whose eyes and obviously each province has different eyes.

Expansive...
    I would say apply for subsidization: most do get it and budget for daycare weekly. It breaks the sum down to a less daunting amount. It's easier to take out $250 a week and set it aside than it is to find $1000 at the end of the month.

I budget my whole life that way. Running a daycare doesn't make me that much but I end up having money to put away when I break down all my expenses this way.

$7 dollars a day? I spit out my coffee (hope the computer is ok.)

Starting to feel at home...
    No sibling discounts here. I have 5 spaces, if you take 2,3,4, whatever, you pay for those spaces. They still eat the same amount of food, use the same amound of craft materials, tissue, toys, love... Parents will look out for themselves, it's my job to look after me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to waterloo day mom For This Useful Post:

I agree that the EASIEST way to manage to pay for daycare is to make it a priority and budget for it just like you do food and shelter ... those bills get paid first and anything else is 'extra' in the budget!

IMO sibling discounts are an oxi moron in childcare ... unlike buying something in 'bulk' where it is cheaper to make 1000 of something than it is to make 1 it does not cost me any LESS to provide care to two siblings than it does two strangers. PLUS while at the start of the relationship it might seem better to have two spaces filled quickly when those siblings leave my income is suddenly cut by 2/5 until I can fill the spaces verses just 1/5 when a singleton leaves - so it is BETTER to have singletons from a business perspective cause it is easier to fill one space at a time and budget for that 'loss' than it is to budget for 2/5 of a loss!

Also IMO offering a 'discount' sends the message that our fees are 'marked up' to allow for profit ... there is no profit in quality childcare at the end of the day after providing healthy meals and a quality early learning experience it barely pays minimum wage specially if you take into account we work 10+ hours a day .... so in order to offer a 'discount' since we cannot forgo feeding them or sheltering them or providing some sort of program we would take a pay cut for the privilege of serving a sibling set...so ya as cute as your siblings may be I think I will pass on the discount!

Most providers do not do this to make BIG BUCKS but rather to be able to afford to stay home for their own families and find work life balance!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    just FYI if you are a parent in Alberta as of April 1 the income level to qualify for subsidy will go up. so that means if you are making 37000 and only get partial subsidy you may qualify for the full amount. When i spoke to my daycare subsidy assessor she stated they will look at all files and adjust accordingly and if you have been turned down due to to high of an income you can reapply

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    Here in my area, (south keys) $35-60 per day is the rate. with 2 toddlers, i opted to open my home daycare. It is so true that you cannot do shortcuts on grocery, i buy jugs of OASIS and Tropicana Juice, which a frozen canned juice full of sugar will do.

If i have one toddler left and i put him on daycare, i would choose to pay $40 for quality, decent meal. LOL, that is why maybe i cannot even break even my expenses. The fruits and vegetable prices are climbing up the ladder, and so as diapers.

I am lucky to have a private care with a parent who is very nice, and share same values as I am. I go to playgroups for crafts and most of the time (toddler boys), just love to roll on the grass, sled on the snow. Daycare is definitely expensive, and my hopes of climbing the corporate ladder is the same routeas my monkey bar skills. It is not going anywhere and my 3 year old is doing a better job.
    I would love to find a parent who will watch my kids for 2 hours after work - so I can go to the gym. And yes, she can get discounted rate in my daycare. We should trade services. LOL

Outgoing
    I don't offer sibling discounts either. Here on the East Coast, I have just put my prices up to $35 a day and that's too high for many, many. Care can be found for about $30 in this area and of course, there's always the work under the table day carers who will do it for even less - with food.

It's not often I am asked for a sibling discount but I am not financially responsible to support a strangers family due to their money situation, which is effectively what the request for a sibling discount is. It's removing my income, to make their expenses more manageable.

Hi,

I just wanted to say that whilst officially there are some dayhomes with fixed rates. There is no harm in asking again. I have done that with a beauty salon where i am a regular customer and i have a specialized rate so too if you are happy with the provider you have chosen then see if you can come to some arrangement where it could be a win win situation.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Playschool teacher View Post
    Hi,

I just wanted to say that whilst officially there are some dayhomes with fixed rates. There is no harm in asking again.
    I disagree. When a parent tries to nickle and dime me and pass their over stretched financial issue on to my family, I am offended. I work hard and long hour. I make barely min wage after expenses if full. If someone wants discount, when already local market means home day care earns less than $11 an hour, then that shows me they likely will argue over everthing.

Experience shows, those who ask for discounts, are the same people here on doorstep the second key is turned and last to leave at end of day. They are parents who want their 18month old to stop napping even though he falling over tired and they are the ones who show up, every damn stat day even though closed.
    So I disagree. Asking a day carer to cut their pay, does do harm. It's offensive. If you happy with your provider, pay her fees. If not, go somewhere else. But stop cutting the income of the lowest earners so you can have your vacation each year, two cars and trips to the beauty salon. And don't dare whine about fees, as you flick through your iphone, telling us how tight finances are and how you can't wait to go on cruise next month 'cause you exhausted. Totally disrespectful and on the occasion I've been asked for discount, that person hasn't been given the place.
    It is two way interview afterall.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I disagree. When a parent tries to nickle and dime me and pass their over stretched financial issue on to my family, I am offended. I work hard and long hour. I make barely min wage after expenses if full. If someone wants discount, when already local market means home day care earns less than $11 an hour, then that shows me they likely will argue over everthing.

Experience shows, those who ask for discounts, are the same people here on doorstep the second key is turned and last to leave at end of day. They are parents who want their 18month old to stop napping even though he falling over tired and they are the ones who show up, every damn stat day even though closed.
    So I disagree. Asking a day carer to cut their pay, does do harm. It's offensive. If you happy with your provider, pay her fees. If not, go somewhere else. But stop cutting the income of the lowest earners so you can have your vacation each year, two cars and trips to the beauty salon. And don't dare whine about fees, as you flick through your iphone, telling us how tight finances are and how you can't wait to go on cruise next month 'cause you exhausted. Totally disrespectful and on the occasion I've been asked for discount, that person hasn't been given the place.
    It is two way interview afterall.

Suzie couldn't have said it any better! Its not our responsibility to give you a discount if you can't afford daycare. If you can't afford it don't have kids until you do. That may should harsh but it is the truth. Budget out EXACTLY what is needed for your child in the first few years of life and if you can't afford it don't have children until your ready. When having children comes a lot of responsibilities and one of those is daycare. I also do not agree in the child and tax credits! I am sick of people complaining about daycare costs. its so ignorant that people always look at the monthly fee, no one takes into consideration our time, meal prep, food costs, education, activities, craft supplies, parental stress I mean the list just goes on and on! Why should I decrease my rates for someone to have my own family suffering in the end? I don't think so
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyTwigs For This Useful Post: