Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

2.5 year old won't play alone!

I have a 10 month old, an 11 month old, a 14 month old and a 2.5 year old. The 2.5 year old plays alone for about 5 minutes and then comes over to me and says I'm done! It drives me nuts!! How do I get him to just go play? I know the other kids are younger, but they can still play with him. I have PLENTY of toys outsides, and plenty of room for them to explore. I feel like I'm always saying "go play". I go play with him a lot - we have morning nap times together me and him, so he has a lot of my attention, but during outdoor play, specifically, between morning nap and lunch, he won't play alone. How do you do it??

Starting to feel at home...
    Keep doing what you are doing... "Go Play" this little guy needs to learn how to play on his own. Keep at it, it's a skill that he needs to learn.

Outgoing
    I have one like this too. I sound like a broken record always saying: go play with your friends, or oh look so and so wants you to come help with the puzzle/lego/dolls etc..its a never ending process here. What is your little one's home life like? For me, this little one has CONSTANT attention at home and parents do EVERYTHING with the child. This little one has no idea what a toy can do unless I show, very little imagination but one of the sweetest little ones I've ever had and for sure one of the smartest!!! Makes for long days though as I always have to be 'on' and keep her entertained.

Euphoric !
    Oh yes, been there, done that. I had a little girl for 3 years who had to be at my side all.day.long. She narrated the whole day and tattled on everybody and I was constantly asking her to go talk to her friends and to go play with her friends. It was exhausting. Thankfully she finally got it when she was 3 and got much better.

Yup just got to consistently set the expectation that playing is HIS job not yours ... I will admit that this is why I prefer to arrangement my enrollment with one infant, two toddlers, two preschoolers so that they are 'paired' for play cause it sure makes it easier!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I feel your pain! In both my cases they were the youngest of 3 siblings & very used to their play being directed for them. Give it time, you'll feel like. Broken record for awhile but it does get better.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

STOP playing with him. You said you have times during the day when you do play with him. Just stop it. He is expecting it. Play is the kid's job - not yours. Keep tell him to "go play" and do NOT play with him at all.

I think it is a sad state where we have gotten ourselves into a position where now kids don't know how to self-entertain.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: