Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    It amazes me too what people are capable of doing! This is the July payment... this family gave me the cheque on June 29th their last day here before holidays, it's so strange... it almost makes me think that something happened to them the day after but WHAT? don't know... it's a freaking mystery now!

Shy
    Thank you so much Reggio, will definatley be looking at this today!!
    I'm so happy that I found Daycare Bear and this forum!! I don't feel alone anymore in this!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy1212 For This Useful Post:

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt...it just seems so strange & out of character from what you've said about this family. Were they travelling to the US on there holidays? I know I had a problem before with CIBC where they completely froze my account when I went over the border as they considered the charges "suspicious" and I even had it happen on occasion where my bank card wouldn't work (with both CIBC & RBC) and was told my card was comprimised so they had to cancel it which is a great safety feature however a royal pain in the a$$....Maybe something like that happened to them? They may not even be aware that the cheque did not clear if this is what happened. Definately let us know what you find out on Monday...and my fingers are crossed for you that they are not trying to screw you out of money

5. The Following User Says Thank You to country girl For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi There!

I worked at a bank for a couple years and a stop payment means that they personally requested that the cheque be stopped for whatever reason. They have to be VERY precise giving the name of who the cheque is written to, date it was written for, the cheque number, and the exact amount. There is also a like a $12 fee that they have to do in order to do this and it has to be done at the latest one banking day prior to the cheque coming out (At least that was how it was done at the institution that I worked at). Most of the time it's done because they don't want to pay whoever they are paying or don't have enough in the account and it's cheaper to do a stop payment rather than have an NSF charge.

Unfortunately, the bank can't do anything about it because it is a contract between you and the payee. So sadly, they won't be able to do anything for you regardless if the services have already been provided . They can't even tell you why it was done, when, etc as it's a client privacy thing.

I hope that it's just a misunderstanding and that they aren't skipping out on you. Good Luck

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to godsgirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks godsgirl, I used to work at the CIBC and that's what I said. That the bank can't do anything about it, but I thought maybe things have changed since I worked there about 20 years ago, hehe.

The challenge with 'business policies' and the 'law' is that they do not ALWAYS MESH and when push comes to shove the 'law' is what will prevail

I do not doubt that bank 'policy' what I am saying is check that there is indeed NOTHING they can do because according to the Marketplace story and the links within there is a law that says a cheque is legal tender and you cannot just 'stop payment' on that ... you might have to take the client and the bank to court to get your money but there is precedent with these cases recently so perhaps the bank will 'avoid' being taken to court and just honor the cheque cannot hurt to let them know you know about the LAW and so forth and see

Another example I worked for over 10 years in centre care where it was policy that all staff and children had to be immunized in order to work or attend the day ~ heck every year employers would organize having the Health Unit come in and poke you with the flu shot and for years I thought I had no choice that the policy was the law cause otherwise why would they be able to have it ... and as well all know NOW that is not true you do not HAVE to immunize your children to attend daycares or schools but still every year they send out warnings that you 'your immunizations records are out to date and must update your immunizations or risk being expelled' .... and so many people end up immunizing cause they think they HAVE to but what that letter REALLY means that your school or organization does not have your letter of 'exemption' on file stating that you choose not to partake in them! But there are still many in society who think it is 'law' that you have to immunize your children ~ I see debates about that all the time online parenting forums?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    If the cheque is for July then it was payment in advance of services so there would be no claim. The only thing claimable would be taking the contract to court for payment of the severence in lieu of notice. Hoping the family comes back on Monday all apologetic with a really good reason why they suddenly had an emergency that required the money. And that you let them know that because of their actions all special events, outings, crafts etc. have been cancelled for the month due to the financial hardships you are facing due to the lack of money to pay for these things upfront.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am with country girl on this one. Although all the clues point to it being done with bad intentions, i would strongly suggest staying as calm as possible (although prepared) until monday and I really hope you will be able to reach them. My only thought is that for some reason they had to stop the payment to allow other direct withdrawls to be made and somehow forgot to contact you in the haste of camping preparations.
    If you are unable to reach them on monday, do you have another contact number for urgent matters... if so I would revert to that!
    I really hope this is a terrible misunderstanding because i really don't want to think that people could be this selfish and careless.... although I know it could happen
    Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Naftafia For This Useful Post:

No advice, just a hug. What an awful thing to do. I would terminate, regardless of their motives.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Hi everyone! so here is the latest. Last night (Sunday) the Mom calls me with a really frantic tone in her voice, wants to know if she could quickly come over to my house. So she comes over with $1,000 cash plus $200. They had just gotten home from their camping trip where there was no internet and just some cell phone reception, and heard the phone messages that I had left them and was truly confused and upset. The only thing that she can figure out is that her bank when she changed chequing accounts screwed up, she really was upset and angry and was of course going to look into it today (Monday) on what happened at their end. She apologized profusely and kept asking me if I was sure $200 was going to cover the NSF charges on my end. So, my hope in human nature was restored! Oh yes and this morning the kids both came with little presents for me! She's going to follow up with me on what exactly happened, but from now on it's going to be cash!
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and helping me through this past week when I was in a panic! it's always good when it's a happy ending!

Lucy

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucy1212 For This Useful Post: