Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy

Feeling really confused....

This has never happened to me before and I have been doing daycare now for 20 years! I have been doing Daycare to a sister and brother 3 years old and 20 months old since January. My fees are $1,000 a month they come Mond - Thursd. Have never had a problem with the payments until today... I go check my bank statement online and the cheque I had deposited on July 3rd, came back marked "stop payment"! What does that mean??? and even worse this family has gone on holiday and wont be back until next week! So I have no way of contacting them. I am out of $1,000 and because of the cheque bouncing it messed up my account I'm just so fustrated right now, really needed to vent! I don't understand what could have possibly happened. Have never had a problem with this family both parents have really good jobs, they live in a beautiful area close to my home, they are well established in the neighbourhood, so not the type of people to skip town or anything like that. Anyone else had similar experience?
    Ugh midnight already and I'm not going to be able to sleep.

Oh hon that is horrible!

My understanding of banking is that ' stop payment' means that THEY had an issue and put a stop payment on their end because they do not want to pay for service this month for whatever reason.

I would call the bank and ASK and explain that this cheque was for service already rendered and see what they say on their end.

Do you have email or text information on the family cause even though they are on vacation I would email/text them or call them at whatever number you have and leave messages to deal with this NOW!

Do you keep a security deposit on clients???

In my mind I would would start advertizing to fill the spaces so you are not without income any longer than possible .. hopefully this is a mistake on their part and they will correct it ASAP but my gut tells me they are skipping out on you for whatever reason
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    The bank can't do anything if the client is the one who put a stop payment on it. You have to get hold of these people somehow if you can and find out what'd going on. Can you e-mail them?

Quote Originally Posted by jazmic View Post
    The bank can't do anything if the client is the one who put a stop payment on it....
    I was thinking more to clarify did it bounce or not .... however my understanding is that a cheque technically is legal tender putting a stop payment on a cheque for services ALREADY rendered is FRAUD and the bank needs to know that ... it is one thing to put a stop payment on a posted cheque because the person did not 'complete' the job and so forth so is not legally entitled to the money and you want to make sure they do not try to cash it .... but to do it for services you 'received' my understanding is that is illegal???

I could be wrong but I would be calling the bank to find out one way or another? If people can put a stop payment on cheques for services they RECEIVED and there is no legal recourse for the service provider than I am thinking time for them to stop allowing people to have cheques?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I, just this week made changes to my contracts and families where I will no longer accept cheques from anyone. Email money transfer and cash only. I too kept getting stuck with clients bounced cheques, bank fees, chasing after families and excuse after excuse for why it was happening. To save myself the hassle, I just refuse to accept them at all anymore. Email transfers are due in the morning of the first day of care, cash at drop off as well. I also take a one week deposit as a just in case. I can't imagine being out $1,000. I'm so sorry this happened to you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    I was thinking more to clarify did it bounce or not .... however my understanding is that a cheque technically is legal tender putting a stop payment on a cheque for services ALREADY rendered is FRAUD and the bank needs to know that ...
    I see what you mean. I thought you'd meant that the bank might be able to release the funds, which they can't do.

They are bolting. They aren't coming back. My guess is they found other daycare and strung you along long enough so they wouldn't have to pay anyone over their holidays. It was underhanded and dishonest.

If it were me and what I assume to be happening is correct I would sue them for the money.

Euphoric !
    I am assuming the money is for the month of July and you either provided one week of care so far or no actual care as they have been on holidays. One of two things has likely happened: 1) they decided they needed the money for vacation and they plan to reimburse - make it right blaming the bank for the error - when they get back after arguing a bit about having to pay while they were gone or 2) they have no intentions of coming back and needed the money as the securitiy deposit for the new caregiver.

Either way I would start advertising and if you fill their spots before they get back good for you. It is doubtful there was a bank error. You might be able to find out from the bank what date the family posted the stop payment on and that might help with clues.

I get paid weekly in advance and have a two week end care deposit.

Guess I should be finding out from the bank how long after a cheque is deposited can the client change their minds and rescind the amount - ie once it is already paid out to me and cashed. Also what is the rule about cashing a cheque for cash - can the bank just go into my account and recoup the total amount from my other money.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

So sorry to tell you this, but a stop paymeny means they stopped it for one reason or another....I feel so badly for you!!

Please start advertising.....

Do you have a deposit to fall back on?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Like Michelle I too only accept cash and EMT for this reason. Good luck and I hope it works out in the end

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post: