Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Transition from 2 naps to 1

I have two kids right now that are 12 months. Both, according to parents, are in the process of transitioning from 2 naps to 1 nap. I have done some days when they are just having one nap and they are whiny, yawning, falling asleep in the stroller on the way home from the park. I have done some days where I try to give them two naps and they scream/cry and fight the second one. I know it's not helping that I'm not being consistent, but I don't know what they need. The parents aren't consistent either. I think that they both need two naps still, but when I put them down and they scream and refuse to sleep, I don't know anymore. Help!

Euphoric !
    I have one that is almost 15 months and still naps twice a day but if I don't wake her up from the morning nap after one hour then she won't sleep in the afternoon and just scream .... I also put her down for her morning nap earlier .... And she sleeps in the afternoon for 2.5 hours sometimes more ..... But there is no way she would make it thru the morning without that short nap . Give it a shot

Expansive...
    Yes my DD at 18mos still needed a morning nap but for only 30min....then a 2.5-3hrs one in the afternoon! Now at 29mos (almost 2.5yrs) she doesn't have a morning one but very much needs 2+hrs in the afternoon or we'll have a demonic child on our hands. When family say "oh just let her play, she'll nap later" I get SO MAD and a few times I didn't nap her just to show them. Come dinner time 5-6ish she's almost flipping tables! That's when I smile, they then say "oh I see, she needs a nap" _ "oh no, it's too late now for a nap....now you can go ahead and entertain her until bedtime since you "know better" :P Seriously I did it twice and now no one questions what I say she needs.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

apples and bananas
    I had 2 - one year olds start with me at the same time as well a few months back. The one started to transition to a noon nap by the time he got here and the second was dropped off at 7am so she was exhausted by 8:30. I did put her down for the morning nap for a few days, but I found it was such a fight (probably just the new surroundings) that it was easier for me to just tough it out.

I would say she'd do better with an am nap still to this day, but, that does not work well for my schedule or my sanity. So, I went cold turkey. I just stretched them out and put them down after lunch. I sometimes did an early lunch if I saw then starting to fade, but then pushed the timeing back a little day by day. Now, she sleeps for 3 hours solid in the afternoon. Amazing!

Euphoric !
    I have three 17-18 month olds who still nap twice a day. I put them down around 8:45 for about 40 minutes (up to an hour if they have had a bad night) and then they all sleep for 2-2.5 hours starting at 1pm. I actually find that if I skip the morning nap, the afternoon nap is worse because they are overtired! I would try putting her down as early as possible and only for about 45 minutes in the morning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: