Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Howmuch do you pay for your helper?

Hello everyone.

Two of my part time clients had asked me if I could have their kids one more day. One is for temp. The other one is permanently. I don't want to take more then 3 kids right now as I don't have a big place and I live in an apartment but I can manage for one day with help. Now my question is how much to pay?

I live in Calgary and I only need help for couple of hours in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

The rate for my province is $10/hr

Expansive...
    My cousin is in school for ECE and she relieves me for doctor's appointments, school appointments etc. I pay her $12/hr.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm in Calgary and I start at $11.00/hr for the first 3 mths, then it goes up to $12.50 if I feel the person/worker is worth the investment and I want them to continue working for me. Most are great, but once in a while you get someone questionable so it makes me feel better to know that I didn't invest all my money right away. But you also have to take into account the hours you are providing. If you are expecting someone good for only 2 hrs per week, then your pay should reflect that cause even if you're charging them $12.50. that only makes for $25/ week for them to take the time to come to your place and work. Which to most people is not worth it. So in your case I would either offer more days or pay at least $15 to make it sound desirable. I always try to view it from a worker's perspective and ask myself, if it was me, would this make sense for me? And personally, I would probably take a job that pays less but gives more hours through which I would make more money at the end of the day. Just thought I7d put it out there as something to consider.
    Last edited by Dayhome Mamma; 07-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Expansive...
    I was wondering about this the other day as well. I'm not if it's done but I was thinking in my area there is the Durham College where a LOT of people do their ECE. Do they need volenteer hours? Like how high school kids need in order to graduate?

I'd be interested in finding that out...maybe not for free but at a lower rate. I'm trying to plan out my options for when (God willing) I'd be on mat leave with #2. I'm a planner....what can I say? LOL
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    Thank you girls. Day home Mamma, I can see you are also from Calgary. As you said it is difficult to find a good helper. Where did you found yours? If you dont mind me asking? If I find a good helper then I might have her for 5 days a week. In this case how much should I offer or maybe ask her how much she is expecting to be paid?

Thanks.

Euphoric !
    I live in an apartment and have 5 children here almost every day and it isn't too much once you get accustomed to it. Having 5 isn't that different from having 3 if they are all well-behaved children who follow your rules with great parents. Luckily, that's what I have going on right now and I definitely count my blessings.

I do have a high school student who comes for the morning on her PD days and a couple times a month in the summer. I pay her $20 for 4 hours which is horrible I know, but she's 13 and she thinks it's great. I would not want to have a full time helper because she would just be in my way and I would not want to give all my income away like that.

Just my opinion.

Euphoric !
    I had a high school student that was doing coop and needed a placement so she was with me a half day for an entire school semester and it worked great. I had to fill out a few progress forms for her and track attendance but nothing major and no costs involved so free labour to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also wanted to mention that even if you have a helper you can't let her be responsible or take responsibility for anything really. The children are being left in your care at your dayhome and you will ultimately be responsible for everything. Even when my high school helper is here I never take my eyes off the children but it's wonderful to have her help.

There is somebody in our city who has a helper and she is always blaming her when things go wrong and saying she 'dropped the ball'. I just think that's so wrong.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Momof4, I live in a two bedroom top floor apartment. I wish it was 3 bedroom. How do you arrange sleeping area? Currently, 2 of my dck sleep in one room and another one sleeps in my bedroom.

My dck's are all under 2 years so if I take the fourth child it will be very difficult for me and my days will be very hectic.