Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Was under the immpression that I would have the child longer

Hi all,

Ok, so I have this little girl who just started last week and she is fabulous, however the parents were not that forth coming about her starting school in the fall, and I never thought to look at her birthdate (stupid me) anyway she's 3 and will be 4 in August and starting school in sept. They never told me this at the time and now I have no idea what to do because they told me that she was going to be full time but didn't disclose for how long. Were in the wrong or am I just plain stupid for not noticing....be nice I'm new at this!

Thanx!

Gonna try to be nice!

I feel its a bit your fault as:
    1. you didn't look at the birthdate,
    2. you should have asked in detail when they're looking until.

A part of it is the parents fault, but they're trying to find f/t care for their daughter - so they were being sneaky sneaky!

Ask them if they're wanting before and after school (and maybe they will be staying with you for that). It's pretty decent money, even if the kid is only there for an hour or two a day! Before and after for me in Kemptville is $20 per child (and I have them for max 2 hours/day).

Good luck!

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Kaila, new to daycare or not we all make mistakes! The positive side is when we learn something from our mistakes

I don't always remember to ask for all the details during an interview or a small detail passes right over my head.

I believe some of the onus is also on the parents because not every daycare provider does school runs and therefore they should have been considerate enough to ask you what your school aged policy was.

You discovered soon enough that you still have choices and able to decide what is best for you and your daycare
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Starting to feel at home...
    You can always use this expirience as a learning expirience and start advertising for september now. You have lots of time to find the right "fit" for you and your daycare. Dont stress these things happen.

I agree with giraffe

I don't know if some families may have tunnel vision during an interview process or whether they intentionally mislead a caregiver but I have had it happen to me in the past and infact just happened to me yesterday. I am quite distressed over how a family who has been with me 3 yrs has mislead me, multiple times in the past 3 months.
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Giraffe is right - Nicole, I'm glad to see you agree with her as well. As we spoke on the phone last night, I don't get how parents can do that to a business. But again, my parents have been upfront with me.

I just have a possible child starting. Mom emailed me saying that she just turned 3, and needs daycare until she begins school in 2012 when she's 4. Love that she's upfront, and communication doesn't seem to be a problem on this one. Nicole, she even likes my holidays - as she's in the board office of the same school board as hubby! Loving this, and keeping my fingers crossed! This little girl could be the extra money coming in!!!!

Kaila, it never hurts to always advertise. What my aunt told me for my website: don't put how many kids you're accepting, just say that you're accepting children ages ___ to ___. And then state to email/call for openings. You could always start a waiting list as well, if you get over the amount of spots you have (if that makes sense).
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 03-22-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling, and needed to add more!

Shy
    I am already advertising for a september opening now. It seems to take quite a while for people to find the right fit. You need to advertise now.
    My hubby says the same thing always advertise and keep one ""aside", but I find that difficult. Then I feel like I'm in an awful position having to turn them away if I have no spot. Plus then I did an interview and wasted everyones time for nothing. Not to mention clean -up before.
    Í would like to think of a better way to do this, I'm hoping to have a waiting list when my new area is done that would be ideal.

Andrea ... I am glad you have a potential family. Keep me posted! I will cross my fingers for you too!!!!!

I posted about my snowball effect, but due to the family that terminated on monday, I have been terminated by another family. So I have 2 spaces to fill basically asap. Because the family I just accepted into care is friends with the newest family I just accepted and they sort of thought it was great the kids would be in the same daycare, that I am afraid this family might leave too

I am very stressed, very emotional, very everything and thinking I may not be able to keep daycare up and running much longer.

Good luck and do you have an interview set up yet????
    www.nicolestot-time.com

No, not yet. Waiting to hear from the mom - hopefully by the end of the week. Daycare start date is April 4th. She knows of some of my hubby's co-workers, which one of them I care for. I asked them about her, and they said she's really great. Hopefully it works out.