Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

How much should a supervisor in Ontario be paid?

How much should a supervisor for a daycare with 40 children be paid?

Quote Originally Posted by V4Vandetta View Post
    How much should a supervisor for a daycare with 40 children be paid?
    Depends on where in Ontario ~ wages vary depending on cost of living in various areas?

Private Centre or Non-profit centre ~ budgets vary between the two because non-profits have access to funding and grants that private centres do not!

Depends on the ages served and many staff they will they supervise cause if all 40 are infants would require 12 full time staff plus support staff, cook and so forth where as as program with no infants or toddlers but all preschoolers would only require 5 staff and a cook?

I worked for two different centres as a Supervisor/Director and my wage varied drastically

One was large private 'chain' of daycares that was opening a new location ~ we were licensed for 102 children so 20 infants, 30 toddlers, 32 preschoolers and 20 kindergaten so staff wise there was 6 infant staff, 6 toddler staff, 4 preschool staff and 2 kindergarten staff, 2 full time support staff, 2 part time support staff, 1 cook, 2 cleaners so a total of 25 staff to supervise plus there was the 15-20 on call supply staff for the program. The centre while licensed for 102 serviced about 160 families due to the 'part time' clients. I was on 'salary' which was $40,000 and on average worked at least 70 hours a week because a new centre requires SO MUCK ATTENTION building a clientelle, building a team and so forth .... so that is 3500 hours a year on average so when you break it down hourly that is only $11 a hour ~ so needless to say I did not stay in that position very long because I felt undervalued and burnt out and was in reality making LESS than someone working on the front line and while that role is VITAL it carries less responsibility due to the 'regulations' of childcare the Supervisor is responsible for all their staffs actions

I than worked for a small independent centre that was licensed for 15 toddlers and 16 preschoolers and 10 kindergarten children and 15 school age children ... so there was 3 toddler staff, 2 preschooler, 1 kindergarten, 1 school age staff working a split shift, 1 part time support staff and 1 cook and 1 cleaner for a total of 10 staff plus about 5 occasional supply staff. I was paid hourly at this centre $15.50 an hour and thankfully only worked 50 hour work week or $38,750 ... so while it was a pay cut 'annually' when it comes down to 'hourly wage' it was 'more pay' depending on how you look at it and what you value ~ me I valued my health and the first centre nearly killed me.

I have peers who work in 'non profit' centres where the Supervisors make upward of $80,000 - $100,000 a year depending on the size PLUS they often have additional Assistant Supervisors and office staff to help with 'administration' duties and my guess to ensure that their hours of work remain under 40 hours!

If you are opening a childcare centre my suggestion would be to contact the Association Day Care Operators of Ontario .... http://www.adco-o.on.ca/ ... they should be able to help and support you in setting a fair wage based on the information above!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Thank you for your advice. I will look into it!