Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar

The snowball effect of 1 difficult family .... very long

I know this is a business, but the actions of one not so good family can snowball and possibly make a caregiver of 15 years close down daycare ...
    Last edited by Tot-Time; 04-04-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: *removing personal my personal feelings from this forum*
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Shy
    Its always depressing when a family leaves, I find myself depressed until I start getting emails or calls for my spot then it seems I have to start saying no to people because I have more than one who would like the spot, anyhow not the case right now, I'm getting nothing at the moment, so I'm hoping it will be better in April. I only have one spot right now though. If I were you I think I would just say to heck with everyone, and start a "fresh" new daycare with new kids and parents!This too will pass, once you start interviewing you'll feel much better! I've had 3 one year olds at once and thought I was crazy, but they were so good it was easy and fun! My ad is on daycare bear and kiji right now, and I'm getting alot of hits but no inquiries as of yet. Start over!!! Thats only if you love your job of course, because moments like this we tend to say maybe I need a change of job?!

Breathe......just breathe.

You sound like such a wonderful caring provider. A wonderful caring provider who thinks of everyone BUT herself.

YOU are WORTHY of respect and consideration and I feel you really aren't getting it. YOU do important work. Start doing what YOU need and what you need right now. Stop worrying about the daycare families and how they are going to get by or their needs down the line.

Without exception EVERY daycare family I have EVER met will do what's good for THEM with NO thought for the provider. They would pull their child from care, from their friends and from their bond with the caregiver in a heartbeat if it so suited them. That doesn't make them bad people - it just makes them people.

If the daycare families are always thinking about themselves and you are always thinking of them then WHO is thinking about YOU?

You deserve better. You have given your heart and sole for 15 years and YOU DESERVE BETTER.

Start doing what YOU need and start doing it today. You are worthy of that respect. Take care of YOU and let everyone else take of themselves.

One of my rules in daycare is that I don't do Special. And I mean it. NO special consideration - ever. It is rarely appreciated and never reciprocated.

The thing about daycare is you can't win. If you don't treat it like a business you get walked on. If you DO treat it like a business you are called heartless. But to the parents it is ALWAYS business and you are just another cog in the wheel. Remove cog, insert different cog, drop off your kids, get in your car and drive off to work.

Start taking care of YOU.

Now get out there, advertise and find some amazing families worthy of the special care you give.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Awesome Judy! Thanks for that post. I started daycare last year with a strong no special exceptions and slowly feel I am compromising for families. Your right tho! No more, it's my business and they don't care about me at the end of the day. Sad to say, but true. I need to pay my bills and think of me too.

Euphoric !
    Hoping your interview tonight goes well. You deserve better than these familes are giving you. Let them take their drama and nightmares somewhere else. Sending vibes for contacts with new families needing care.

Starting to feel at home...
    Judy hit the nail on the head. Although you may feel guilt and want to please the families in your care you need to take care of you and your family first. It is a cold hard lesson to learn but in the end you will be happier. And the happier the provider the BETTER the provider is at her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tot-Time View Post

Does anyone do a thank you letter after an interview? .
    If I liked the family and would consider accepting them into care then, and only then, will I shoot them an email saying I enjoyed meeting them etc.

But, if they were a ...................NEXT! ...............sort of interview I do not send an email and just hope to hell they never contact me again.