Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

My 4 yo dd is having trouble adjusting

My daughter is having trouble adjusting to having daycare kids here. I just started in June with a 2 yo girl who is a gem and my dd loves it when she comes. But since last week i have a 2yo boy and 4 yo girl who come tues/thurs. They are friends from nursery school. My dd seems to get bored/annoyed with her quickly and I try to tell her to have patience but it isn't working. The mom had told me she knows ABC and the basics and wanted me to work on reading with her before she goes to school......I just got them to write out the ABC's DD is done, has colored and is onto a craft and DCG is on N......I am trying to help her but not help too much because I want her to do it herself.
    With puzzles she kind of just sits there and stares at the pieces (maybe she thinks she is a jedi and she can put them into place by looking./...I dont' know) until I get her moving on them, and even then i say "where do you think this piece goes?" and she tries to put them in backwards and flipped over.....

sorry just needed to vent!! I welcome any suggestions on how to deal with my dd!!
    Lisa

Euphoric !
    In terms of the dcg...please remember that all kids develop differently! My son is four and can't write any letters really yet! He also isn't that great at puzzles...but he has an amazing expressive vocabulary, is very athletic and strong, and is very gentle with the other kids. Each kid has their own strengths and interests, so just because your daughter can write her letters, doesn't mean the other child the same age can do it as well or at all. In terms of your daughter adjusting, it might just take time. My kids were younger when I started and I didn't have many problems with it, but at 4, I could see it being a big adjustment. Can you let her have some time on her own in her bedroom with her own toys that she keeps there? That way she doesn't feel obliged to play with the other girl all the time...it isn't her job. Maybe also once you find smoe things that they both like doing and are good at (maybe dress-up or imaginary play?), they will play more with each other.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Oh i know all kids are different. It was just that the mother had wanted me to work on getting her reading and had told me she was great at writing abc and numbers. so it was kind of unexpected. It just seems like my dcg can't do anything without specific instructions and being led the whole time. i guess it is just frustrating as I wasnt' expecting it.

I do try to get my dd to do other things and play with my dcg so she is "out of her hair" but dgcg just wants to follow her around.. it has only been 4 days that they have been with me so i just have to give it more time.

My other part time dcg is 2 and just goes off and plays happily. but my dd is like a mother hen to her and is constantly playing with her she has been here for over a month so i guess i just expcected dd to be the same with the other dcg.....