Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Developmental Milestones for 1 year olds...

Hi all, I have a pretty good idea of developmental milestones but just wanted to throw these two 1 year olds out there for comments. It's been awhile since I had little ones this young and you forget so quick the difference between infant and toddler! So I have two 1ish year old kids, S is 13 months old, A is 12 months. S seems so much more like what I would expect from a one year old developmentally; the cruises furniture and takes a few steps alone, can go up and down stairs, feeds herself, drinks from a sippy cup, lots of babbling, and likes to play with toys and books. A doesn't crawl (moves himself on his bum), won't bear weight on his legs, doesn't pull up to standing, doesn't seem to have a clue about stairss, refuses to feed himself or hold a cup or even a bottle, also not much babbling just a lot of pointing and crying. He doesn't really play at all either, will just sit there. If I give him a toy he most likely will chuck it across the room! Same usually goes for feeding, I put him in his high chair and he starts screaming and throws the food all over. Are they just at the opposite ends of the spectrum or what? How do you get a kid to start to crawl or feed themselves? I know he doesn't neccessarily need to crawl before walking, but it seems weird to me that he won't even pull up or try to stand.

Yup ~ the spectrum varies so vastly dependent on personality and life experience .... some children are more 'determined' to try new things and others happy with the 'status quo' so they need to be motivated and gently pushed with trying new things .... also depends on how they are parented some parents encourage and promote independence in infants and others carry them and keep them 'dependent' .... so a child who is down on the ground and left to 'explore' is going to learn to move around furniture and so forth quicker than one who is kept up on a lap and held.

As for what you can do to encourage ~ practice .... if he has spent alot of time sitting or being held he will need to build up muscle control to catch up so playing games that encourage him to 'stand and bare weight' and so forth?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    I also wonder how long child <A> has been with you?

I have a 8mos old who isn't with me FT yet, just 2 days a week and according to the parents she doesn't crawl but scoots around the entire house and cruises onto everything, constantly standing, pulling herself up ect. Well I've never seen this child do more than sit there like a bump on a log....not even to reach for toys! It's sit, cry, scream, sleep, eat, sit, cry.....you get my drift.
    I even put her standing against those activity tables, showed her that red plays music, blue pops up....and she was good for about 5min then screamed her head off because she was "stuck" in the position. I mean, come on....cruise along or plop down on your bum...SOMETHING! nope

I'm giving it the benifit of the doubt and associating it to her still geting used to me & the new environment. Well see once she's here FT. Because when dad arrived at PU it was the FIRST time I'd seen her bouce up and squeel in joy once she saw him! so I know she CAN do it....she's just choosing not to do it.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

I have two that are very different as well. Both are about 12 months. One is walking, feeding himself, drinking from a sippy cup, climbing, etc. The other is crawling, rarely uses a spoon, won't even hold his own bottle just cries til you hold it for him (trying to get out of this, but he literally will scream when you try to put his hands on his bottle to show him how to hold it himself). Kids can be so varied!

Euphoric !
    I have three that started with me at around the same period of time and are all within a month of each other. At 12 months one was walking confidently, the other was crawling and cruising, and the third was like you described...no crawling, no cruising, no leg strength, no self feeding, only eating purees and bottles and would basically hang like a sack when I picked him up. He is now 17 months and still isn't walking, but he's getting close and he is now feeding himself with no problem and eating the same foods as everyone else, drinking from a cup, and finally starting to interact more with the other kids and get more social. Still, when people see him they say "Aww, how old is the little guy?" and are shocked when I tell them...he seems more like a 12 month old than a 17 month old. However, he is sweet, happy and healthy and I think this is just normal for him. He progressed a lot once he started full-time with me as I rarely carry him and he has to be down on the floor with the other kids. Practice practice practice is what they need, but also some of it is genetic, so there is only so much you can do.

Euphoric !
    That sounds perfectly normal to me eoinsmom. I have two little ones who are a month apart and both started with me at about 10 months of age. One walked sooner, one talked sooner, the other one eats better, one catches on quicker to simple commands, the other is way ahead learning letters and counting already. And they are 19 months & 20 months now. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we are all stubborn in our own ways.

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured that they were just moving through the stages at a different pace, but needed a little reassurance....A has only been with me a month, and S has been here two so maybe it is still some adjustment time too. I have just had 2+year olds for over a year now, and my son is 4 - I've forgotten what it is like to have babies around! I have been slowly encouraging him to try new things, like today I had him try to climb up one stair which led to a total meltdown and A laying on the floor sobbing. Same goes for trying to get him to hold a cup, not fun for either of us! I am thinking he is just going to take awhile to move up to where S is at. Honestly, I don't know how the bum scooting can be comfortable! He boogies like crazy and the sides of his feet and legs just look irritated all the time.

Euphoric !
    The bum scooting is considered the crawling stage for this child. Some kids just do it differently. Think about that pampers commercial with the kids moving and there are some scooters in that one. My one daughter was a scooter, others continue the commando stomache crawl longer than infancy and others rabbit hop as in hands first and then the feet leap up and join the hands and while others actually do the alternating hands and feet we expect.

It is hard to determine "normal" now that we don't get them till a year since we are up against different parenting styles. What you are observing is more related to learned behaviours at home and how to get what they want or what is expected of them than anything developmental.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    The bum scooting is considered the crawling stage for this child. Some kids just do it differently.
    yes you're right....I didn't word myself properly. In my head the issue is that she does all of this at home but nothing here. They also sid they don't hold her ALL the time which I know know mom "doesn't" but runs to baby after every/any whimper. So I get why baby cried when I didn't do what SHE wanted. Dad says he's tougher on her...mom's a suck LOL

Also, she HATES tummy time and seems to have NO arm strength. Even flips out at every diaper change (dad confirmed that she does it at home too). She's a chunky-monkey 8mos old wearing 12-18mos clothing.....could the extra weight be a factor or should I be looking for other signs?
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!