Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bedwetting

Restrict milk, not water!

Restricting water actually prolongs bed wetting in two ways: it causes headache by dehydration, and it causes constipation. Often children misunderstand and avoid fluids far too much. One hospital survey found that 25 out of 30 bed wetters were constipated!

Anything that contributes to uncomfortable sleep, whether mental or physical, is a bed wetting issue. MILK foremost among these; milk and orange juice in the evening are amongst the factors that seem to prolong bed wetting.

Every child can be dry, every child deserves to be dry. I coach older children, but for kids under six years, the way to beat bed wetting is..

1. ditch the pull-ups, put a pad on the bed instead
    2. drink lots of water an hour before bed
    3. never 'hold' bladder or bowel, this toughens the bladder muscle

Starting to feel at home...
    Hello! My son will be 9 and still wets the bed. Very common for boys and can last to the age of 12. It is hereditary so if one parent or both, took a long time chances are your boys will.

We have started using the Malem Bedwetting Alarm. It's a long process but works! My nephew used it (10 yo) and took him 6 weeks to get dry, my other nephew (5yo) took him 2 weeks. My son is starting week 3 and had his first dry night last night.

The alarm is attached to regular underwear and the base that's attached to your shirt near your shoulder rings/vibrates when it gets wet. We put the disposal pads because you will change them often at first. So far so good! He went from wetting 3x to 1x and you'll see with time he will wake up to go pee. This trains your brain to wake up to go. Trick is always have them go pee when the alarm rings, change and back to bed. Beware lots of laundry at first and waking up to help him change the pad and blankets.

Let me know if you need anymore information !

Outgoing
    My son is 6 1/2 and still wets the bed. It's just now getting better. We've taken him off night time pull ups and started taking him for a pee around 11:30 pm. Now the bed wetting is only occasional, and he's starting to wake on his own to go pee at night. It took a long time, but he's a heavy sleeper! I was the same way, I wet the bed until I was nine. I was also a heavy sleeper, and remember having the "toilet dream". If he does wet the bed we treat it like it's a total non issue.

My daughter is four and wears pull ups still, has never once been dry in the morning. Not sure what to do but since she's still so young I'm not too worried.
    I had to laugh about the "toilet dream".... Totally remember that too.

Expansive...
    Both of my sons wet the bed until 12 , one almost 13 . Buy the pull ups , we called them night ginch . It is so embarrassing for them too . My dds, trained at 2 , night as well but the boys slept so solidly . That way they can manage on their own , get up , the bed is not wet and go shower . We did not make any issue out of it at all . It eventually stops , why make them feel as though it's a big deal !!!
    Self esteem is way more important than the cost of the pull ups !!! Just my opinion !!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    you know what i also found that kids just don't fully empty their bladders. We all see them hold it all day and then rush to go pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondtimearound View Post
    Both of my sons wet the bed until 12 , one almost 13 . Buy the pull ups , we called them night ginch . It is so embarrassing for them too . My dds, trained at 2 , night as well but the boys slept so solidly . That way they can manage on their own , get up , the bed is not wet and go shower . We did not make any issue out of it at all . It eventually stops , why make them feel as though it's a big deal !!!
    Self esteem is way more important than the cost of the pull ups !!! Just my opinion !!!
    I totally agree with Secondtimearound. It was my son's choice to try the alarm as it bothered him A LOT. He was invited to 2 sleepovers and was so embarrassed. I told him to go anyway and he was able to sneak a pull-up on. I don't want him to let this stop him experiencing being a kid. But he personally hates them and wants to be dry. I agree that the parents should never make a big deal out if it. It's natural and nothing to be ashamed of. When the child is ready, then he's trying for him.

Last night was his 2nd dry night, he's so proud of himself this morning. I've tried everything with him before the bedwetting alarm and nothing worked, not even the meds doctors wanted us to try (which I didn't believe in, they did nothing and are really expensive).