Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bedwetting

Starting to feel at home...

Bedwetting

Not related to daycare, but I have a question about my son. He is 6 1/2 and consistently wets the bed still, almost every night. He wears overnight pullups to bed and will not wake up when he needs to pee. Now, from what I have read, it seems that his body/bladder is just not fully developed and that it's not a big deal. His doctor said some kids just take longer to go through the night dry. My son is a heavy sleeper, so it's not surprising to me that the need to pee doesn't wake him up.

Anyhow, I guess I'm just wondering if there's any point in trying to 'train' him. I was considering not giving him a pullup to wear at night and just letting him wet the sheets, and thinking maybe that will help him learn to wake up at night. But if his body is not ready, it's not ready, right?

Anyone else have a child who wet the bed at this age?

Euphoric !
    My son trained in daytime at 2, but not until a year later at night. I know he was three, not six, but what worked for us was switching to cloth training pants (with plastic sheet under his bedsheet because they leak)...after a week he was trained at night as with the pull-up he didn't feel the wetness and it didn't bother him, but the cloth helped him feel wet and wake up. Also, we limited liquids for an hour or two before bedtime and got him to pee a few times in the last hour before bed. Good luck!

Euphoric !
    Do you limit liquids in the evening? I agree with kanga that maybe it would help if he is only allowed sips of water after 6pm or so and her idea about cloth instead of a pullup is a great idea. And littlefeet raised a good point about checking with your doctor.

All children are different so don't let anybody judge him or you!

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't limit liquids in the evening, no. Especially lately, since it's been so hot! He always goes pee right before bed, but he won't make it through the night without going.

I have asked his doctor, he's not concerned, says some kids just develop later.

What's the difference between using cloth training pants and just not having anything on? He'll still wake up cold/wet, no?

Euphoric !
    If you buy the cloth training pants that are waterproof on the outside, the leakage is often minimal and you don't have to change all the sheets. Another option is to use a waterproof absorbent pad on the bed and have a couple so that he sleeps right on that (with no training pants) and then when he wets you change the pad rather than changing all the bedding. I know it feels mean to limit liquids in the evening, but it is probably the only way he will make it through the night (I know i have to get up to pee if I drink too much in the evening). Otherwise, you could also try getting him up and taking him to the bathroom before you go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    I don't limit liquids in the evening, no. Especially lately, since it's been so hot! He always goes pee right before bed, but he won't make it through the night without going.

I have asked his doctor, he's not concerned, says some kids just develop later.

What's the difference between using cloth training pants and just not having anything on? He'll still wake up cold/wet, no?

Euphoric !
    I agree with kangaromama. Dont be afraid to limit the liquids all evening and he won't be dehydrated, he'll just be thirsty in the morning. I also have to get up in the night when I've had too much water or tea in the evening.

My son is going to be 8 soon and and for a bit he was wetting the bed. The doctor says he is ok just like yours. I limit his liquids in the evening like everyone says and I make sure that the last thing he does before he goes to bed is use the restroom even when he says he doesn't have to. I am a night owl so I stay up late. I usually hang out in his room for a bit while surfing the web and if I see him squirming around I wake him up and take him to the restroom. This has been working for us and the times that it actually happens are becoming more rare. It's tiring stalking him at night but it's been working. Hope this helps.

Shy
    Recently my almost 4 year old son started bedwetting considering that we've rejected from diapers at the age of 2. I don't know what is the reason and I want as soon as posible solve this problem!

Expansive...
    Most kids that age don't have big enough bladders to hold it all night. The best way for him to expand his bladder is by drinking more fluids. I'LL bet he doesn't drink a lot? Just a guess. My DD used to drink 3 8oz glasses of water a day plus milk at meals and the occasional glass of juice. She could last all night by 2.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Oh, yeah. He doesn't drink a lot during the day. But he likes to drink not much warm milk before a sleep hour. Thanks for your advice.