Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Arts/crafts activities for older boys

I have two boys, age 4 and 6, that I would like to plan some arts/crafts activities for. I'm not sure where to start! Any suggestions?

My 6 year old son has loved crafts for as long as I can remember. My advice is to get a kit together and let them create. Get them a set of kids craft scissors (the ones that cut a different edge; I got mine at Dollarama), loads of craft paper, stickers, glue, popsicle sticks, wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners etc....you will be amazed how much fun they will have thinking of things as opposed to an organized craft.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Shy
    I went Shopping at Michael's craft store and was surprised at what I found! TONS of kits for .29 cents, .49 cents, .69 cents and .89 cents. They included things like a box with a wooden car, wheels, paint, paint brushes and everything you need, an airplane kit, and tons of others like sun catchers, paint by number kits, coloured sand and sticky paper pictures. I left with a huge bag for $10....for the older kids I have a bucket of rocks I grabbed from the beach for painting (& I also grabbed papers from the tear off pads at Michaels craft store to show them examples of already painted rocks...there are a lot of funky duct tapes out there now. See what they can create with it. I'm sure duct tape has a web site on things you can make out of duct tape - wallets, clothes, etc.

Ooohh heading to Michaels tomorrow night! Is this a big sale going on?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Shy
    I don't think so. Normally there are always clearance and sale items at Michaels but i always see tons of kids crafts in the bins all along the front before the check out. I have a goal to get as much craft as possible for under a dollar.

FREE RECYCLING STUFF .... with adhesives like tape, glue, staplers and than markers or paint and so forth and let them make their own cars, robots, space ships and so forth whatever their 'interests' are with the materials provided ... and girls love this too they just make their own 'things' instead.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I don't have any 6 year olds in my daycare but I have two grandsons almost that age and neither of them want to sit down and craft. They want to MOVE! Don't sweat it Starshine, let them play.

Indeed. Let them burn those calories.
    They have enough time for rest when they're old.
    ____________________ ____________________ __
    Steve Works
    sika

Euphoric !
    That age likes to make things they can then go and use and do well with a bin of pieces to create with such as sticks and stones and wood and then some plastic animals. Not usually as interested in the make a picture for the wall kind of art.