Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Summer Vacations

Hi everyone, this forum is such a great idea. I have been operating my own family daycare for a year now. Prior to that I worked in a group daycare for four years.

Just a quick question regarding July and August. Does anyone charge their families for their own personal holidays? Also, during July and August (which I consider flexible months) I only charge my families for the days their children are attending. Does anyone else do this? During the rest of the year I do charge based on enrollment not attendance.

Thanks for your input

I accept teachers children, and husband and I do not rely heavy on my daycare income. So we have decided to put in my manual:
    - I do not ask for payment when I take holidays - because I can take up to 6-7 weeks for holidays, we just don't find it fair that parents pay me
    - I also do not have paid sick days

Pretty much, if I'm closed, you do not pay.

If I have teachers children and they stop coming end of June, I will ask for a two week deposit to save their space when they'll start up again end of August. I'm off for 3 weeks in July, and then will reopen if kids want to come. Again, for me, it's not about the money, it's about caring for the children - I absolutely love it!

Shy
    Thanks Play and Learn. I agree with you, I have only taken two days off during Christmas, which I did not charge for. Most of my families are teachers and I do not charge them for July and August and guarantee their spot again in September.

Outgoing
    I don't charge families for my own personal holidays. I charge my teacher families half fees over the summer to hold their spot and they can bring their child up to 6 times during that month. As much as I love working with children, I do depend on this as my income and can't afford for my income to drop 3/4 over the summer so I need to charge something. I have bills to pay too and as much as I would love to hold a spot for free, I have been burnt in the past with holding a spot for a family only to have them give notice (grandma was going to look after child for free) leaving me with no income. Because of this, I no long hold spots for free.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Starting to feel at home...
    If I am not available to provide care hen I do NOT charge the families. All other days are paid days.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I do charge for my holidays and I charge for the parents holidays. My parents pay the same fees every week, 52 weeks a year. Now if I was to take an extended amount of time off, or more than what is allowable in my contract, then defintely they would see a reduction.

In the area I live in, it is normal for a caregiver to be paid for stats, 2 weeks in the summer, 2 - 5 sick days, and the week between Christmas and New Years. I know thought it isn't like this everywhere.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I also charge all stats and my summer and Christmas time off ( total vacation of 4 weeks) It is the norm in my area. I do not, however charge for days when I am closed due to illness

Shy
    It's funny how much "normal" can vary from place to place even within the same province.
    Here most people get paid only when they are available other than stats. I get paid for my stats, when dck are off sick or for vacation but when I book off for vacations I don't get paid or if I take a sick day but for those most of the parents pay me regardless.

Outgoing
    My families also pay for stat days, their holidays and I allow myself 10 sick/personal/bereavement type days that are paid as well.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/