Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy

Provider does not want to give me my receipts

I had my child with a provider and things did not go well at all. Eventually my provider wanted out and I felt it was best and so we terminated. We had paid for the period ( around 5 weeks).
    I have been asking her to send me the receipt. She has not provided me with one after asking for it multiple times. I am offended by this.
    What do I do? Do I need her SIN or anything for me to claim my taxes.

Euphoric !
    What you should do is call revenue canada and ask for sure but I think as long as you put down her name address and phone number on your tax form that should be enough. Ideally you will have some way to prove what you paid such as a duplicate or cancelled cheque. Since you don't have to include receipts don't be surprised if you get a letter from revenue canada many months from now asking you to verify the amount paid. I thought there was a law that could charge a provider for not providing a receipt but not suggesting that be the first course of action. The phone call is the best place to start. There may even be some info on the revenue canada website itself about how to claim without a receipt since this is a lot more common than it should be.

Shy
    Thanks Playfelt. I appreciate it!

Shy
    I always provide my SIN number to my daycare parents. It is required when they claim it on taxes.

Shy
    I checked the revenue Canada website and you at least need the SIN number of the provider to claim. Even if it is an unlicensed home day care provider it is illegal not to provide receipts.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Niveah,

I am not a lawyer, but my advice is to send a registered letter to your old daycare provider requesting the receipt, offer to pay her duplicate receipt fee if she has one, also provider her with a date you will expect it by (maybe 2 - 3 weeks from when you send the letter), and the amount you paid. This register letter is now proof that you have attempted to get a receipt from your old daycare provider.

This letter can now be used as documentation in court or with Revenue Canada, if you need to take further action.

I know sometimes it can take me a month to get a receipt out to a family that is leaving as life can become quite busy. Or maybe your old provider only sends out receipts a certain month of the year, for example I always send mine out in January.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Shy
    Hi Tot time
    Thank you. I requested her to provide receipts soon after we discontinued ( which was mid-2010). She did reply and told me that she does hers at the end of the year ( December) and there is enough time until April.
    I was patient and it is March now. I have had two other correspondence with her in this time requesting the receipt. I neither have a SIN number nor receipt.
    I do have proof that I paid..my own bank records and I have the contract etc..
    I had a very disappointing experience with her and I think she is purposely not giving me the receipt.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    The idea behind the registered letter is to make it 'official'. In the letter you can refer to the previous correspondence and point out that the caregiver agreed to provide the receipt. By registering the request the caregiver has to sign that she received the document. Thus providing you with the supporting documentation if you need to proceed further.

In Ontario, as a parent you can claim what you paid your daycare provider without a SIN #. But if Revenue Canada asks for a receipt they can disallow your claim. I am sure there are loop holes for everything, with documenation stating that the caregiver has still not provided the receipt will work in your favour.

I don't know what avenues are available to you as a parent to get a provider to supply you with either a receipt with her SIN or just her SIN or BIN (which btw you don't have to have a providers SIN, I NEVER EVER give mine out, instead I supply my BIN). Revenue Canada might be able to assist because they do have the authority to charge a provider who does not give out her SIN or BIN number.

Without harrrassing your old caregiver, have you tried writing the receipt yourself, leaving a blank space for the caregiver's signiture and SIN and request her to sign it in person (provide a duplicate for her records)? You may be completely right in that your old provider isn't providing the receipt on purpose because there wasn't a good relationship, but sometimes life does get busy, and we forget. I had a family that left daycare in the summer and I didn't even realize until January that I never provided them their annual receipt.

Another tidbit, I am sure you have already tried, but be ultrasweet when dealing with your old provider, as you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Maybe start by saying, you are sure that the original receipt was lost in the mail so you are hoping that she will provide you with a duplicate receipt, or maybe ask if it has been prepared yet so that you can pick it up friday on your way home from work? Being sweet and not giving her an option to say no might work?

Oh if you have an accountant do you taxes you can have the accountant call your daycare provider for the SIN #, I had a daycare parent or two do that to me because I don't give my SIN # out and parents didn't realize they had my BIN # on the receipt.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Shy
    " if you have an accountant do you taxes you can have the accountant call your daycare provider for the SIN #, I had a daycare parent or two do that to me because I don't give my SIN # out and parents didn't realize they had my BIN # on the receipt."

This is a great idea. I will try this.

Starting to feel at home...
    You can still claim your childcare expences if you do not have a reciept. It can be tricky but if you have your bank records and the providers full name, address and phone number it can be done.