Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

The dreaded ECE question

Ugh, I hate that question..."What education do you have in the Early Childhood Field? "

I never know how to answer it. I have no "formal" education in this field but I do have 11 years experience in it and have done tons of research on the preschool age and child developement. For those of you who don't have "formal" education, what do you tell people that ask this question?
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    I actually have never had a parent ask me that question. I do not have anything to offer but my experience with my own family and the volunteer work I've done in elementary schools. However, I do tell parents that I am a certified teacher although I have never taught in a classroom apart from my school placements as I can't get a job in the area I live in. I know it is not ECE but I think it lets parents know that I do know a bit about children and creating programs, but really, I dont think it sets me apart from anyone else who doesn't have their ECE.
    I personally would just tell them that while you don't have it, your experience and research has helped you to form a really awesome program that you feel works for the children in your care.
    As with anything in life, an education is good to have, but life experience is just as valuable. There are those with ECEs, teaching degrees etc... who should not be around children as they just do not have what it takes to "handle" them properly, and then there are those who do not have any formal teachings but intrinsically know what children need and have a natural ability to be a great teacher/provider.
    I hope what I am saying makes sense. I would just be honest and upfront and if they like you, they will sign on.

I agree with Bookwork ~ a formal educations is only as good as you are able to apply the theory to practice through common sense and good judgement ... there are a few fields where 'formal training' are a MUST such as being a Surgeon and so forth cause I would not want to attempt to 'wing' an open heart surgery but the fact remains that there are some 'surgeons' who I would not want performing surgery on me cause they SUCK!

So while I do have my ECE myself it is not my 'degree' that makes me good at what I do and I do tell parents that when they ask a bout my 'training' because I believe in being honest and well to educate parents on what to REALLY look for in a quality program because its not a piece of paper hanging on the wall

I have learned more in real life practice and continued reading, networking and professional development than I EVER learned in school and have learned to apply that well through reflection on what works and does not work with my group cause sometimes a theory sounds awesome on paper but is not practical in real life~

Honestly I have peers who hold a degree in ECE whom I would not leave my children with because they have no common sense or ability to manage a group ~ I worked with a peer years back who on more than one occasion LOST children in care because she was distracted and did not notice they had wandered away from her group and so forth OR there would be kids tearing each other apart right at her feet and she would not 'notice' until someone shouted her name and said 'hey can you do something about that at your feet' ~ she is just not able to 'multitask' and well that is a MUST in this field! Not to mention she was easily 'distracted' and would get lost in daydreams ~ really sweet women and people looked past her 'flaws' as a result but honestly she was a hazard in the classroom and as nice as she was if she were caring for MY kid I would not be willing to keep looking past accident and incident reports of children who were harmed while on her watch!

I would basically answer that question with 'life's hands on practical education' aided by reading and self initiated professional development. Can add specific things like I have my First Aid and CPR, I network with peers in my field both online and in person.

I am a firm believer that being good at this job needs more than a piece of paper that quickly becomes outdated ~ success in this field requires a passion for life long learning and a desire to be offering children and families the BEST with the resources we have. We need the ability to reflect and commit to changing where needed .... as our society changes and evolves what children need from us or need to be capable of doing in order to thrive in that new emerging society changes and therefore so must our approach to our work with them!

The program I offered as a 'new grad' with my ECE diploma fresh on the wall is NOTHING like the program I offer now today over 22 years later .... like society it has evolved and changed and improved as I continued to learn, reflect and set new goals for myself ... and sadly for some of my peers who graduated with me they have not grown or evolved ~ their practice is now outdated and they have no idea how to 'deal' with the children who they are faced with today whose life's stresses and expectations are so much different than 20 years ago because their skills and abilities have not evolved themselves!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    My website and ad make it clear that I have practical experience with children only and when I give parents my resume they can see my background at the interview. Nobody has every asked about any formal education or anything other than to know that my CPR/first aid is up to date.

I was in Scouting/Guiding with my children for 17 years so that's where I get my crafting experience and I worked at a medical lab so that's why I know so much about illnesses and health. But otherwise, I believe my Mom/Grandma experience and common sense approach is just as good as learning how to take care of children in a classroom setting.

Different families want different things though, so those of you with your ECE training definitely attract the opposite kinds of families that would want to interview with me.

Starting to feel at home...
    I've never had anyone ask about formal education. If they did, I would tell them the education that I do have (university) and the practical experience that I have.

Outgoing
    I haven't been asked about ECE, but I do point out that I raised three children to adulthood and have been the care provider for my grandchild for 2 and a half year. I'm not putting down ECE programs; from what I know of them, they are excellent and ECE grads are well-qualified. But I do believe that experience in the "real world" of having children is every bit as valuable.

Euphoric !
    The ECE question seems to be a common one here. What the parents are really trying to determine is if I am a "babysitter" or if I plan to have a learning program. When asked the question somewhat ignore it in terms of answering yes or no and instead pull out your teaching plan - daily schedule, what type of activities you do with the children either by a list, bin of sample teaching materials, pictures of children engaged in learning time.

If you have taken any workshops show proof of those. Our association gives a certificate to prove attendance at all workshops that members can put into a portfolio. Having a portfolio that documents your training, experience and includes letters of reference, etc. is also great to pull out instead of answering yes or no to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    ....If you have taken any workshops show proof of those. Our association gives a certificate to prove attendance at all workshops that members can put into a portfolio. Having a portfolio that documents your training, experience and includes letters of reference, etc. is also great to pull out instead of answering yes or no to the question.
    Awesome advice they do this for us in our town as well specially anything offered through the Ontario Early Years programs ~ a portfolio is also great place to put your things like your criminal reference check, First Aid / CPR, proof of insurance and other 'business' papers for during an interview so you are not only paying lips service that you have them but 'showing' them as well for extra piece of mind!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    That's probably why parents don't question me then about education. They can see by the pictures on my website that I run a fantastic program and teach and craft in many different methods. I do get a ton of compliments about all the pictures.