Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Dreamtree

Requiring vaccinations discussion? NEED ADVICE

Very tough issue no?
    Last edited by Dreamtree; 08-18-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Euphoric !
    It sounds like the parents aren't against immunization totally but believe in waiting a bit longer. In some cases this is totally justified such as for a child that is born prematurely or with some complications at birth. Because of surgery as a baby my daughter had her first sets of needles that should have been at 2, 4, 6 months at 4, 7, 10 months. Others were spaced and the schedule changed accordingly. What the early one protect against is for the sake of the child and not for others. Things such as the chicken pox, MMR etc are the ones that could come into play for your own child. But also remember that infants have a pretty good immune system if you are healthy and their contact with the other children will be very limited at first anyways. When your child is about to be born might be a good time to bring up the subject again with the family and find out what kind of a timeline they have in mind. If at that point they are still saying no then you can reconsider. Also speak with your doctor instead of just scaring yourself to find out the dangers to the other children in care if there even is one. I do expect basic immunizations to be done by 12 months when the child starts care but am more lenient with other needles since they didnt' exist when my own kids were little and it isn't something that I am concerned about it. Personally I just keep the info to myself and the other parents do not know what any of the other children have or have not had. Just as they would go into any group situation there are no guarantees of anything. Many of the immunizations such as chickenpox do not prevent the disease but control it's severity. Talk with your doctor about what to expect and then insist on a note from the family's doctor with the anticipated modified schedule.

My own kids are not vaccinated. I have some kids in my care who are not vaccinated or delayed vaxers.

It is NONE of the other family's business who is and is NOT vaccinated. You can NOT tell them or ask them their opinion about another family's medical decisions or situation.

I would be freaking LIVID if my daycare provider told another family about my child's medical situation vaccines or otherwise. It is NONE of their damn business and it breaches confidentiality.

Unvaxed kids are NO MORE a risk than vaxed kids. In fact, go read up on vaccines. There are some vaccines that are LIVE and therefore shed. Shedding means that one of your vaxed dckids goes to get their shot and comes back, sneezes and then spreads the actual LIVE virus around your daycare room. Sorry, but that is something you should be FAR more concerned about than having some unvaxed, completely whole, toxin-free child running around.

Can you tell I am passionate about this subject?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Dreamtree
    Hmmmm....
    This is why I was reluctant to post a question about vaccinations--it is too controversial and people tend to respond vehemently based on which route they have chosen to go with---with their OWN children. YES, Judy I can tell you are passionate about the subject. And on that note I would like to clarify a few things. I did not disclose who the unvaxed child was. The mother of the unvaxed child asked me if the other parents were comfortable with this, I did not simply go and disclose this information to them.
    Personally, I think that parents have to do whatever they feel is best for their children. However, I do feel that in running a business I need to set policies that I am comfortable with and that is what I am struggling to do. That said, I am reluctant to continue asking advice because the sensitivity of the issue, where instead of feeling advised I feel attacked.
    Playfelt, thanks for the info. My only concern with waiting is that I don't want to change policies once she is settled because then she may feel that she enrolled under false info.
    Last edited by Dreamtree; 08-18-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamtree View Post
    Hmmmm....
    This is why I was reluctant to post a question about vaccinations--it is too controversial and people tend to respond vehemently based on which route they have chosen to go with---with their OWN children. YES, Judy I can tell you are passionate about the subject. And on that note I would like to clarify a few things. I did not disclose who the unvaxed child was. The mother of the unvaxed child asked me if the other parents were comfortable with this, I did not simply go and disclose this information to them.
    Personally, I think that parents have to do whatever they feel is best for their children. However, I do feel that in running a business I need to set policies that I am comfortable with and that is what I am struggling to do. That said, I am reluctant to continue asking advice because the sensitivity of the issue, where instead of feeling advised I feel attacked.
    Playfelt, thanks for the info. My only concern with waiting is that I don't want to change policies once she is settled because then she may feel that she enrolled under false info.

I don't feel I attacked you however I apologize if you feel that way.

I see vaccination just like any other medical thing. We simply can not ask, tell, or seek opinions of other parents in care about this. It's personal. It's no different than if a kid had any other condition under medical care etc.

Playing the devil's advocate here but we would ever go to an UNvaxed family and ask them if it's okay to accept a vaxed child?

Dreamtree
    Judy,

I do agree with you on that front, I had never thought of the whole medical confidentiality of it, but it makes sense. I really don't know what to do at this point, because I have to walk the fine line between what I believe personally and what I believe best for me professionally, does that make sense?

Euphoric !
    I think there are other issues at play here too though in the sense that the assumption these days would be that all children are vaccinated according to the accepted schedules so it isn't something that a parent would likely think to ask about but might be concerned if they found out it wasn't what they thought. I would contact local daycare centres or schools and ask for their policy. If you contact your local health unit they will have the rules for your area but even within that there will be a caveat that children whose parents oppose on personal or religious reasons or a child's medical condition doesn't allow for vaccination - ex I had a dayare child with a severe egg allergy so she had very few that she could get. It isnt' so much deciding about what the other parents are comfortable with it is about you. It sounds like you are concerned for your own children and for that reason you have the right to decide that you will or will not accept an unvaccinated child into care. Yes making your policy now and then turning the new family away based on that rule is what you should be doing if that will make you feel more comfortable. It would be wrong to start them into care and then change the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamtree View Post
    Judy,

I do agree with you on that front, I had never thought of the whole medical confidentiality of it, but it makes sense. I really don't know what to do at this point, because I have to walk the fine line between what I believe personally and what I believe best for me professionally, does that make sense?
    And that's all well and good. And you SHOULD do what works for YOU.

YOUR BUSINESS - YOUR RULES

It's just that YOU have to make that decision - not your dcfamilies. They don't get ANY say in how you run your business or whom you except into care. It has nothing to do with them.

I understand ethical stances. I do. There are lots of deal breakers for me with regard to daycare and who I would and would not offer service to. But those are mine and mine alone. KWIM?

You just need to make the decision and then role with it despite what others think or say.

Dreamtree
    Playfelt,

Yes, I agree that this is more about what I am comfortable with than with other parents, that is what I am going to go forward with. Thank you.

Dreamtree
    Thank you both for you advice, I feel that I can figure this all out now