Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Dreamtree
    At least until I have a a different policy I need to review

Euphoric !
    That's why our contracts are on the computer - so we can easily edit them as needed. The more years you do daycare the more that goes in it - mostly with the I will not be taken advantage of again so the new rule will be... and it goes in the updated contract for the next family and works fine till as you say the next issue crops up. Good luck with your decision. I know it is hard to turn down a family when we have a space to fill but you have to do what is right for your family too.

Euphoric !
    I wrote up a huge response to this yesterday, and it's gone!! Grrrrr.....
    ANYway, the gist of it was;
    I don't think it is any of the other parents business whether the rest of the children in your care have their own vaccinations or not, personally. I would also be upset if my provider had told others about my personal/medical choices (which I undertand that you didn't). They choose whether or not to vaccinate thier kids, and that is as far as it goes. When they are at playgroup or the park, or letting their child lick shopping cart handles (*shudder*), they have no possible way of knowing who has had the needles, and who hasn't.
    If anyone has reason to be concerned then it's the parent of the un-vaccinated child who's little one is playing with all the kids who supposedly have a higher immunity to some of the typical germs and bugs. But that is the decision that they have made, and they have done so with some very valid reasons, I am sure.
    Myself, I am still on the fence. I have read a lot about vaccines in recent time, and although I have 3 kids with up-to-date shots, I am not sure about our newest baby coming. I haven't decided yet whether she will be getting them.
    It sounds like you are concerned more so about your own little one, which is understandable. I think the toddlers in your care need to be taught (regardless of who has their vaccinations, etc) to refrain from touching your baby anyway. When my newborn is around, the kids in d/c will be discouraged from kissing and hugging and loving on her. Partly a germ thing, but also because kids don't realize how strong they are when they are with a baby. Especially the littlest ones who may still think of the baby as a dolly/toy, and not my precious new baby, haha! It may seem kind of harsh, because of course they only mean well, but I think it's best/safest for everyone.
    I am sorry that you felt attacked, because that is not what we are here for. But I know for sure that nobody meant for you to feel that way. We just all have very strong opinions on some stuff, right?
    So to sum up: immunizations are a total non-issue for me, and it's totally the parents business. I would be more concerned with teaching the little ones to "look with their eyes not with their hands" and so on when playing with baby.
    (Haha, guess it ended up being a long post again anyway!)

Dreamtree
    very tough issue.
    Last edited by Dreamtree; 08-16-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Legally, I think you could be sued if you refused a child for non vaccination. Even if it's your business, you are not aloud to racism, sexism, or to select or not select someone based on nationality, sex, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, etc... Those are human rights, and it would of course need to be verified, but I think that refusing a person for that specific reason would be contrary to human rights

Maybe not put it as a requirement but ask the question during interview. Then you can refuse without anybody being able to proove the real reason.

(hope I made myself clear!!! )

Sarah

Dreamtree
    Hmmm... I am not sure that's true.
    Last edited by Dreamtree; 08-18-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Dreamtree
    I think people have to do what they are comfortable with on both ends.
    Last edited by Dreamtree; 08-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.

I am not sure about what I said. But personnally, just to be on the safe side, I would not put it anywhere in writing. I do not agree with your fear of non vaccinated kids, but it is solely your business, and you have made your decision according to your own knowledge and fears.

Sarah

Euphoric !
    Rather than put things in negative terms about what you won't accept if your contract says that a child entering care must complete the following chart and show proof that the following immunizations are up to date then that covers the issue. Any parent that can't show that proof either because they lost it or never had them done just wouldn't be able to enrol in your daycare. You get what you want by wording it this way without including any specific exclusions.

It is still excluding even if it is written positively.

If you say bring a birth certificate showing you were born in canada, that is still excluding based on nationality (just an exemple!)