Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sigh......why does everyone need to make parenting so complicated. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's not hard.

Why is it that 60-70 years ago mothers had two to three times as many children and they were far better behaved than the one or two kids they have now? And there were not popular psychology methods for parenting.

Ack.....it makes me wanna pull out my hair.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Sigh......why does everyone need to make parenting so complicated. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's not hard.

Why is it that 60-70 years ago mothers had two to three times as many children and they were far better behaved than the one or two kids they have now? And there were not popular psychology methods for parenting.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Euphoric !

Cause we spanked them when they were bad and told them how proud we were when they did good. They knew exactly where they stood and what was expected.....and in most cases they had the support of their mothers to help out with advice.

There has been so much media attention on doing it wrong and screwing up your kid for life that parents are grasping for straws in midair unsure where to turn next. In other words they are easy prey.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree! Using a stern voice to one person is yelling to another person. I do make sure my dck parents know that I do use a stern voice when needed...they ahve to know you are serious! What I hear way too often these days is "Please don't do that sweetheart" in the most sickly sweet whiney voice...the kid just looks at them like "whatever" and continues with his bad behaviour. Well, I wouldn't take it seriously if I were talked to like that by a police officer either!

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Just be careful of the no yelling clause. One of the things I have been finding is that families are being so conscioius of not raising their voice to their children that the children are losing out on knowing where they actually stand and that is one of the reasons they test over and over. In days of yore no meant something cause you knew when mom used "that tone of voice" that you had better not test it. Now that is not so easy.

Sigh......why does everyone need to make parenting so complicated. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's not hard. .....
    I totally agree ~ effective behavior guidance has nothing to do with 'yelling or spanking' or other forms of punishment and you do not have to be a pushover either where the kid rules the roost cause you are afraid of 'damaging their self esteem by saying NO to them'.

If you consistently say what you mean and mean what you say and the consequences for a poor choice are NATURAL to that choice ~ than children learn to trust their environment and learn make positive choices through that cause their world makes SENSE to them .... IMO the problem with society today is NO CONSISTENCY in expectations between parents in their own house, between one friends house to the next, between school and so forth ~ our values and approaches have gotten SO DIVERSE it is hard to know for kids expectations for behavior and to that that the 'consequences' for making a poor choice are so removed from 'natural' that they cannot figure out.

The problem in almost every house the rules are not the 'same' on Monday as they are on Tuesday ... parents are saying one day 'no jumping on the couch if you jump on that couch your going to your room' and then they get busy and do not follow through and the next day they ignore them jumping on the couch all together cause their just too tired to care and the third day they are back to caring and go back to the 'if you jump on that couch you are going to your room' and the kids just look at them and keep jumping ~ cause they do not TRUST the adult to do what you say or say what you mean ~ and so the parent looses it and starts yelling at them for their 'defiance' of the constantly jumping on the couch when they have told them no .... but IMO it is not defiance it is kids being kids and doing what is 'fun' in their eyes and what they have is CONFUSION about what you really mean cause you threatened that Monday and it never happened and yesterday you did not say anything at all and so both days they got to have lots of fun jumping so they just keep going hoping that is the result they get again today ... and when the parent looses it on them they are confused and hurt and they trust the parent even less.... which is why most kids behave better for daycare providers because we cannot afford to have 'inconsistency' in our programs we need that fine oiled machine ~ kids know that HERE no jumping on the couch MEANS no jumping on the couch or you will loose your couch privileges and not get to be have time with your friends on the couch until you show some respect to the materials in the program, show respect for the safety of others whom your jumping might hurt, show respect for ME and how jumping on my furniture is RUDE .... they learn how their choices effect OTHERS and to think about that when making choices ~ verses thinking only selfishly that punishment brings of 'X will happen to ME if I jump on the couch'!

For EONS we have been trying to use 'punishment' as a way to control the masses and all we have ended up with is more JAILS holding people who make poor horrific choices and we keep thinking we need MORE punishment .... but its not working!!!!!

Children do not need 'punishment' ~ they need to learn SELF CONTROL and DISCIPLINE over their choices so that they can make GOOD CHOICES and think of others when making choices so that even without the threat of punishment they can control their behavior and actions ... we need to STOP the cycle of punishment as the way of 'control' so that when they are GROWN they can avoid ending up in JAIL because their odds of getting 'caught' making poor choices ran out on them!

I do not break the law of society because of the FINE that will be levied on me or that I might go to jail if I get 'caught' but because it is WRONG to steal from others and I do not want my stuff stolen or I driving carelessly could kill others and myself ... I make good choices because it is the right thing to do for myself and others ..... because someone TAUGHT ME empathy, anger management and impulse control as a child and how to LEARN from my poor choices and make better ones moving forward not out of 'fear' of some punishment towards ME but because of learning to think about my choices constructively!

The problem with the punishment approach is that the punishment is INCONSISTENT based on being caught by some 3rd party and selfish people, specially children who are in that very 'self centred' stage of if it feels good than do it, think they will not get caught and therefore 'evade' punishment as long as possible in order to have the 'fun' that their misbehavior allows them in the 'moment' ... just like the child jumping on the couch whose parent is not consistent with their reaction .... teach a child through 'reflection' and 'natural consequences' for their behavior to have empathy for how their choices affect others and therefore have consequences and they will learn not be SELFISH in their choices and will learn more self control and will not need the threat of 'punishment' to behave in the future!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Cause we spanked them when they were bad and told them how proud we were when they did good. They knew exactly where they stood and what was expected.....and in most cases they had the support of their mothers to help out with advice.
    yup! I am the parent and you the child will listen to what I say. end of story.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    This is a little ridiculous, but the way people are these days, with their fast past lives and such, it's hard for parents to take the time to do these things. I wasn't raised with most of these rules, but it's the way I raise my child and take care of my dcks. I wish all parents had the common sense to raise children, but sadly, not a lot of them do