Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jec

Triple Strategy for dealing with behaviors ~ Triple P - Positive Parenting Program

Hey everyone,
    I have a family who is interested in my opening and adivsed me that they follow the Triple P form of dealing with behaviors. I've had ALOT to read up from goggle and fail to see how this is any different any other ' parental experts' giving advice on how they feel and or another stragegy that is offered out there.

Is this just a type of way to get new parents' to buy the 'box set' of how to raise your child by dazeling them with wording?

Am I missing something here- anyone heard of it and or used it?

Outgoing
    Hi jec,
    I just had an inquiry from a parent this week asking the same question. Since we are in the same city, I wonder if it is the same family LOL

Starting to feel at home...
    Umm, I just glanced at this website and found it to be quite hilarious.... Is this not what we already do all day? How about common sense? hmm.... something is quite off with our society if we are turning around to pay money for a program for information that should come naturally to us (maybe a good question to ask would be 'how did our parents/grandparents raise us?' I do not think it was through a 'program').

In my opinion something is very wrong with this.... (bravo to whoever is making money off of this scheme!)

Ugg, things like this frustrate me sooo much! Rant over.

Oh, I forgot to mention my favorite part! Some common sense for us all Here are the top ten parenting tips!!!

1. When your child wants to show you something, stop what you are doing and pay
    attention to your child. It is important to spend frequent, small amounts of time
    with your child doing things that you both enjoy.

2. Give your child lots of physical affection – children often like hugs, cuddles, and
    holding hands.

3. Talk to your child about things he/she is interested in and share aspects of your
    day with your child.

4. Give your child lots of descriptive praise when they do something that you would
    like to see more of, e.g., “Thank you for doing what I asked straight away”.

5. Children are more likely to misbehave when they are bored so provide lots of
    engaging indoor and outdoor activities for your child, e.g., playdough, colouring
    in, cardboard boxes, dress ups, cubby houses, etc.

6. Teach your child new skills by first showing the skill yourself, then giving your
    child opportunities to learn the new skill. For example, speak politely to each
    other in the home. Then, prompt your child to speak politely (e.g., say “please”
    or “thank you”), and praise your child for their efforts.

7. Set clear limits on your child’s behaviour. Sit down and have a family discussion
    on the rules in the home. Let your child know what the consequences will be if
    they break the rules.

8. If your child misbehaves, stay calm and give them a clear instruction to stop
    misbehaving and tell them what you would like them to do instead (e.g., “Stop
    fighting; play nicely with each other.” Praise your child if they stop. If they do not
    stop, follow through with an appropriate consequence.

9. Have realistic expectations. All children misbehave at times and it is inevitable
    that you will have some discipline hassles. Trying to be the perfect parent can set
    you up for frustration and disappointment.

10. Look after yourself. It is difficult to be a calm, relaxed parent if you are stressed,
    anxious, or depressed. Try to find time every week to let yourself unwind or do
    something that you enjoy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to samantha3 For This Useful Post:

sorry but I read this and burst into laughter, its like I guess parenting really does come with step by step intructions now LOL

Dodge- hahaha, I know what you mean, I laughed too and then thought sadly there are many parents out there that do need step by step instructions, lol

Good laugh for the day!!

Euphoric !
    Just coming back from checking out the website and shaking my head. Was going to comment on the top 10 tips checklist too - see that you posted it. Even the simplistic wording of the tips was a turn off for me. And their examples left a lot to be desired too in terms of explaining what the tip meant.

jec
    Thanks ladies ~ I just got in from running around doing errands and you made me pee my pants with laughter!
    That's exactly what I thought! Haven't we all been doing this already?! The top 10 also made me giggle!
    OK ~ so I"m not missing something. It's just some person who gave parenting tips that we have been using for years ~ gave it a fancy name and put in some big words and put it on sale for a 'box set collection' !

Treeholm ~ I bet it is. Heather?

I've seen a similar list from the 1940's except it was about how to be a good housewife. eg. make sure you change your clothes, style your hair and apply lipstick for when your husband comes home and never ever complain to him as he has had a busy day working. Stepford wives and stepford kids!

Euphoric !
    Hahahahahaha, they need to write these steps down in print for parents, seriously? People don't know these common sense things anymore? Where, oh where did my generation go wrong in parenting today's generation of parents? I'm sorry but my mind is completely blown by this entire thing. C O M M O N S E N S E P E O P L E !