Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Do you see any problems with this... under age picking up.

I have a client who has left their older child home with a cousin to babysit for the summer... maybe 14 or 15 I would guess. I know who she is and have met her before. She showed up today to pick up the younger one that I care for during the day. I didn't get a call or text or anything letting me know she would be picking him up.

I feel like there's a concern there... but I'm not sure what.

Does anyone see a problem with an underage picking up a 2 year old?

Thanks,

Starting to feel at home...
    I wouldn't have a problem with a 14/15-year-old picking up the child. I WOULD have a problem with not being told about it beforehand--I would have called the parents and made sure it was okay with them before letting the child go.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with a 14/15-year-old picking up the child. I WOULD have a problem with not being told about it beforehand--I would have called the parents and made sure it was okay with them before letting the child go.
    Yup, same here. TO COVER YOUR ASS....and make sure the parents are aware of this: The parents NEED to let you know who is picking up at the end of the day. That you cannot release their child if the parent didn't let you know ahead of time.

Ya ~ my problem would not be with her age but the lack of communication ~ I would not have released the child to her to be honest unless the parents had added her to my release to list in WRITING or they had as a minimum called me to add her temporarily under the family emergency protocol ~ which means the person on the phone give 'verbal directions' has to know the family emergency protocol password ~ otherwise the kid stays here until someone ON the list shows up!

My policy is I cannot release to anyone under 12 even if they give 'permission' ~ cause that was the policy in all the centres I worked in had.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    thank you ladies. My thoughts too. I did call mom and I did address it with her after the child was gone.

Euphoric !
    I won't even release a child to a grandparent, let alone a teenager, without first being informed and meeting them ahead of time. It's in my contract that I do not release children to anyone except the parent.

You should ask the parents tomorrow if they would really like you to just let their child go with anybody who comes to your door to claim them without permission!

In U.S. we are required to have all names of possible pik ups on file before hand. Also have to be verbally informed of the person other than parent picking up. I guess though after that, if the parent is ok with this child picking up her child, thats the parents choice. As uncomfy as it makes you feel. I wouldnt entrust my children with a 14/15 yr old. BUT i also started babysitting when I was 11. hmmm. not sure.

I would need a signed form that says the parents agree to release the child to her. That way if something happens YOU are not on the hook for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Ditto all this. I would have a conversation with the parents about safety.

Outgoing
    In my policies, it states that I need 24 hours notice if someone other than mom or dad (or other person I know about) is picking up the child. If it is an emergency (my husband suggested) they text me a picture of the person who is picking them up, or give me their name and date of birth and I check for ID at the door. There is NO WAY I would release the child to someone I wasn't told would be picking them up - even if I'd met them before. You never what goes on in these families....