Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Potty Training Language

Okay, well!! I am officially starting my first potty training since I opened my daycare. Ive never done it before, except with an already potty trained (just had to be reminded) little boy.

Anyways, we have everything established: sticker poster, prizes and so on. When the little boy came here, he was half way to potty training. But then he regressed. I think it's because I have three babies in diapers so maybe he feels like he should be in diapers too. Maybe it's the change in routine and place. I don't know. But he's regressed at home too. I spoke to mom and we came up with a plan to do at home and at daycare.

I spoke to him today, and I asked him questions like does mommy wear a diaper? Does Daddy wear a diaper? Does your big brother wear a diaper? He said no. I asked him if they all use the potty and he said yes. I asked him if he uses the potty and he said no. I asked him why. He looked away. I asked him if he was scared and he said yes.

So, now I am looking for proper training LANGUAGE. Like, what should I say? What shouldn't I say? How much is too much pressure?

We're doing the underwear thing - no more pull ups except for nap time so he'll be in wet clothing if he pees. Mom says if he's at home naked, it's better, so I know the pull ups aren't helping. Should I give him a code that tells me he has to pee? I think he's embarrassed when he has to pee. If he poops, I can smell it and I ask him and he says no. One day I didn't smell it and pulled down his pull up quickly...well, you can imagine what happened. I wasn't pleased. I didn't get mad though.

Anyways, proper language (I know, I'm a rambler). Anyone have any ideas or tips on proper potty training language?

not sure about "language"? But i have trained MANY children. All different. The one thing I always remind parents is you are not training the child, you are training yourself first. It is your responsibility to remind the child to try and go potty, and to pay attention to the childs cues. If he had a tendency to fill his diaper (poop) shortly after eating lunch, then of course that would be the time to prepare for a visit to the pot. (with a book and drink in sippy helps) when he goes behind the furniture to play or will stop play and stare quietly at nothing, you may know he is going or preparing to go. I have set a timer for every hour or two to have the child take a quick trip to the potty. And another thing I do when training in the beginning is pick a clear area (hard floor) and have the child sit on the potty seat out in the open around the other children where they can watch them play and interact. I will ussly sit right with them and pay attn, but this also keeps me with the child and the child (i think) feels more secure, because they are not secluded from the others durring that time. Not for everyone though...but I have noticed it works for us. oh also: make sure during potty training, the child gets plenty of fluids, sure helps in beginning to catch those quick pee pee's that "just happen" when they sit for a min or two, and it def encourages their ability and builds their confidence. GOOD LUCK!

I dont ever "ask" a child if they have to go potty, because this is new and can be scary to them, if you ask them they will say no everytime. afraid of what you want them to do. in the beginning it shouldnt be their choice, you have to show them there is nothing to be afraid of. OR you could get a kid that says yes every time you ask and then you could be stuck playing the "run to the potty" game.