Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Dropping off early

Dropping off 5-10 minutes before opening. What would you do?

I don't open my door until I open, at 7:30 a.m. I tell them this at the main interview, and when they're signing the papers; I also state that I program all my clocks to the Ottawa Weather Network, and for them to do the same. IF you want me to open at 7:20, you have to pay me more ($10)!

Just don't open the door for them. They'll soon enough get the point.

Outgoing
    I had a parent do this, except a few times it was 20 minutes early!! Most times it was 10 minutes before their scheduled drop off time. They were my first client of the day, at 7am, the others came at 7:30. So some days, I was brushing my teeth when they would ring the doorbell, or still tidying up, getting ready for the day. It irked me SOOO much!! And I always like to open the door for them, cause they were the type to ring the bell instead of knockingl when my kid and husband were still sleeping!!) So I would see them pull up and open the door for them. Them coming early meant that they woudl ring the bell and sure enough, my kid would be up. Back then, my son would sleep till 8:30am, so him getting up at 7am meant a long morning for me with his crankyness.
    I ended up canning them since they were flexible part time and I needed to fill with a full time spot. But this was among some of the many reason why I loved seeing them go!!!

Any new client who have asked for a 7am drop-off, I straight out tell them," please make sure its right at 7, and not before, I have limited time in the morning and I'd like to be ready for when you come." One current client kept coming early, but would stop at Timmies for a coffee and wait till 7 to bring her son over. She later found that the clock in her kitchen was fast and that why she always has her son ready to go earlier than normal time. But at least she had the respect to not bring him until 7am on the dot. It does make a huge difference if you're anything liek me. I cherish those 15 minutes I can eat my breakfast and enjoy my coffee and news before they come.

Maybe the next time you are talking, ask if they use their cell phone for the time in the morning, casually say that a few time they have came early and you hadn't quite had your coffee, or the bed made yet or whatever, maybe they can get the hint.

I have hid in the kitchen in the dark for 15 min before because a parent tried dropping off early. I felt like a total goober, and hoped they didnt see me, but I felt I had to proove a point...otherwise it could become a habit. My door is locked until 6:30 am. Have had parents ask to drop off early before, nope...I tell them. 6:30 is early enough.

Outgoing
    If you can stand them at the door ringing and knocking and it wont wake anybody in the house, then let them do this. Answer on the 4th knock or 2nd, 3rd doorbell ring. rush to the door, say that you must not have heard them, as you are still getting ready for the day, or, better yet, show up with a towel on your head and ask "is it 7:00am already?? I thought it was only 10 mins to!"
    if they cant get the hint after this, you'll have to ask them straight out, please dont come until my scheduled 'open' times.

Im a wimp when it comes to confrontation, so any 'subtle' hints, I'm all for them!

Euphoric !
    I don't open my door until I'm open at 7:30.

Euphoric !
    Five minutes wouldn't bother me that much since most of my kids come from at least a 10 minute drive away which translates into several stop lights/stop signs so the length of time needed to get to my house can vary by their luck at the lights. At the same time some mornings go more smoothly than others and seems silly to just stand there watching the clock.

Had a family that often arrived 5-10 minutes early and they would sit in their car in my driveway reading books, singing songs, etc. till the appointed hour and while it was the right thing to do it did seem silly when the kids could have just come in and watched tv till everyone got there but I did appreciate that they respected my time. I have a 5 minute or so grace period on both ends of d rop off and pick up.

jec
    I figure 5 minutes isn't always early as everyone seems to run off different times - meaning my clock says 7:30 and their's says 7:35 type of thing. I just make sure that I'm ready 10 minutes before arrivals so I don't get caught.
    I did however have a family that used to arrive some times 15 minutes early and I was chatting with them one day saying don't you just need that 10 minutes with your coffee before you start work with quiet and the Mom was agreeing with me and then I said that it's how I look at my mornings and if she is 5 minutes early no problem but 15 is my tea time. She saw it differently and never happended again.

apples and bananas
    I open my door 5 minutes before scheduled drop off. My parents know if my door is open you are welcome to come in as I am expecting you. If it's closed, then I'm not expecting you and either text me or check your clock again. I've never had a problem.

Okay, once again, let's do some math. We will take the middle of between 5 and 10 minutes and choose 7 minutes for our equation.

260 work days/year X 7 minutes = 1820 minutes

1820 minutes = 30.33 hours

So, if you open your door just 7 minutes early you are working nearly an entire work week each year for FREE.

Now, toss in only an extra 7 minutes again at the end of the day and you are looking at working an additional 60 HOURS a year for FREE.

Nope, don't open the door.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: