Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

What are your own school-age kids doing?

Just curious if anyone else is in the same situation. My son is an only child, going into grade 2, so there's quite an age gap between him and the little ones I look after. If you have a school-age kid at home for the summer, what do they do all day to keep busy when you've got daycare kids to look after too?

Outgoing
    Camp! My son is 6 so I give him a break away from the daycare kids every couple of weeks. This week he is at variety sports camp. He loves it. Its expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. He NEEDS the break away

Starting to feel at home...
    I have thought about camp, but I couldn't afford it for more than a week or two. And the main issue is getting him there since I don't drive. There's nothing around my area really.

Expansive...
    Luckily, I also care for another little girl full time her age over the summer so they keep each other busy! I have 2 other school agers who fill in my openings as well so there's always someone to play with. She is also signed up for camp this week to get away from it all and is having a blast!

Both my kids are school age and just today had a thread re: WHAT? why is it so hard to handle your own kids mixed with daycare? of course, I know the answer, more needed someone to listen to my issue at that moment. If you have grandparents, thats my OUT. When they get bored they bicker, when they bicker...my head spins!!! when my head spins....I call for back-up. We too cant really afford sports camps and such. I put them in one weeks of camp, and they go to various other activities, when my numbers are low I will allow them to have friends over, when my numbers aretoo high they go to friends houses. lots of stayovers with gram and gramp, dont know what I would do without them. They are going tomorrow after they go fishing with thier other grampa. Just cuz I have to work all summer, I dont want them to be bored and pay the price.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Nothing!!!
    He will definatly be going to some form of camp for at least a couple of weeks next year

He's only 6 but he really doesn't fit in with the daycare kids anymore and he just mopes around asking to play the xbox or his DS all day( the answer is always no)

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    my 7 year old son become my daycare helper, helping me bring sandtoys home. he earn $1 per day of helping. he was happy with it and happy with his savings.
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)