Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Judy, that's a great policy. Let me question it...

So, I'm the client and you've just terminated me. Then you tell me that in order to continue for 2 weeks I have to come up with 300.00. So... why (as a client) would I continue through the termination period?

(not arguing, just want to get a better insight of your idea behind the policy)
    Ah, but here's the thing.....If I have terminated you then I likely want you GONE.....as in, TODAY. But, since my contract says 2 weeks notice is due (unless you have done something REALLY wrong) I go by the contract. So, at least if you say that you are gonna stay the duration of the notice period I KNOW I am getting paid for it and if you suddenly develop short-timers and do stupid stuff like start showing up half an hour late, or being rude etc I CAN and WILL then just terminate you immediately and keep your fees.

It just stops parents from continuing care through the notice period, having a hate on for you, and trying to screw with you in other ways.

apples and bananas
    excellent... I'm rewriting my policies to release in September.

excellent... I'm rewriting my policies to release in September.

Yes, BUT......also remember that most providers take a deposit and it gets applied to the last two weeks of care. And here's why.......unless you are in a financial position to potentially lose out on the notice period of fees you SHOULD take a deposit when they sign on to care and keep it for their last two weeks.

The only reason I use the deposit at the beginning of care is because one, I am in the financial position to take that chance, and two, I am FAR more likely to have someone leave abruptly because I terminated them rather than them just leaving. And when I terminate you I just want you to LEAVE. But, if there is a two week deposit for the end of care lingering around parents make a stink over unused money and then you have to deal with that. If there is no money left on the table they usually just go away - even if you terminated them and they are mad. The only reason parents give you a hard time about terminating them is always due to money.

Just take a look at your situation and decide which way YOU are better to apply the deposit.

apples and bananas
    Would anyone mind reading the term letter I've written up and give me some feedback? Thanks,

"Dear XXXX,

On June 7th 2012, after a late pickup without notice, I issued you a letter to advise you that I would not be able to care for your children past 5:30. I also advised you that if you were to be late in the future I would have to terminate our daycare arrangement. On June 21st 2012 we had a second discussion after you were late to pick up the boys. Again on Wednesday the 25th you were late to pick up XXXX.

After careful consideration, due to several lates over a short period of time I will be terminating our daycare arrangment. As per my policies I am offering 2 weeks notice and am happy to continue care for XXXX until August 10 (keeping in mind I am closed August 6th) In order to care for XXXX through the termination period I will require payment of the 2 weeks in advance. If you wish to take advantage of this option please let me know before Sunday July 29th at noon. Otherwise I will assume you do not require care. You are welcome to pick up the remainder of XXXX diapers and wipes as well as the boys additional clothes at your convenience. Please let me know when you would like to do that and I will have everything ready for you.

I have sincerely enjoyed caring for both boys. I find this situation unfortunate, however, I feel that our arrangment will no longer work with my business anymore.

I wish you all the best going foward.

Apples and Bananas"

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Yes, BUT......also remember that most providers take a deposit and it gets applied to the last two weeks of care. And here's why.......unless you are in a financial position to potentially lose out on the notice period of fees you SHOULD take a deposit when they sign on to care and keep it for their last two weeks.

The only reason I use the deposit at the beginning of care is because one, I am in the financial position to take that chance, and two, I am FAR more likely to have someone leave abruptly because I terminated them rather than them just leaving. And when I terminate you I just want you to LEAVE. But, if there is a two week deposit for the end of care lingering around parents make a stink over unused money and then you have to deal with that. If there is no money left on the table they usually just go away - even if you terminated them and they are mad. The only reason parents give you a hard time about terminating them is always due to money.

Just take a look at your situation and decide which way YOU are better to apply the deposit.
    I feel the same way. My deposit is applied to the first 2 weeks not the last. I like my clients to be with me long term and i don't like having that money lingering around until they leave.... or age out. I also like to have the power to term immediatly and not deal with a refund at that point.

(not arguing, just want to get a better insight of your idea behind the policy)
    I agree with your confusion ~ if things are ending 'badly' and the provider is terminating why would the parent want to send their child to a provider who has said they have had ENOUGH and did not want their business anymore ... seriously most parents are going keep their money and use it to take time off to find a NEW provider?

If you have to 'collect' payment over the notice period than the provider would than have to SUE to try to get her notice money. Than the risk is that since the client did not use any 'service' during that notice period and the service provider was therefore free to take on another client that the client would have just as much a chance to 'win' cause some judges are going to look at that and think the same thing 'why would anyone leave their child with someone whose said they've had enough and if they are not using service why pay them'?

When I worked in centre care if we terminated an employee, even WITH cause, we just paid them to leave in lieu of notice ... we did not WANT them there anymore so we paid them two weeks pay in lieu of notice ~ and even if we had cause to fire them we gave them two weeks pay because it was CHEAPER than having them try to file a wrongful dismissal suit ~ cause no one ever SEES that there was cause when something like that happens ~ the other person is automatically seen as unfair ass ... and seriously we fired someone who had gotten verbal notice cause she threatened to duct tape a kids mouth shut and than repeated the behavior ~ she still did not see she had done anything 'wrong'. :roll:

If we terminated a child it was the same thing ~ it was effective immediately and any money 'prepaid' for service was returned to the client cause we just wanted them GONE by that point and sucked up the loss in revenue to have that happen ... the only time that a deposit was kept was if the reason for terminating was 'contractual' aka they had not paid their fees and had fees outstanding the deposit was kept to cover that and care ceased immediately!

IMO as the service provider we take the most 'financial risk' here and therefore should have policies in place for protecting us and our income UP FRONT .... if we keep money of a client that we do not deserve based on our contract that is technically FRAUD and clients have recourse through BBB, Small Claims court and even taking 'criminal action' depending on how much $$ we are talking about here .... if the client manages to 'stiff' us on our service provided our only recourse is small claims court which costs us even more money to try to recoupe in lost time of work and so forth and no guarantee we will 'win' depending on the whim of the judge and is he pro small business or pro customer in his politics!

I choose do the security deposit for the last two weeks because than if I did not WANT the client in care over the notice it is in MY control whether I am out the money or not ... I can refund the deposit money back to the client via a money order and be DONE by removing the option to come or I can choose to keep it and allow them to come and if the client chooses not to send their child well that is their choice ... the service was therefore them to use if desired! If they bounce a cheque on me and refuse to reimburse it care is DONE and they loose the deposit so I am at least not out for having actually provided the service I am just out the 'notice period' of finding a new client.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    That's a very good letter apples & bananas, straight and to the point and buslinesslike and professional. I hope this goes very smoothly for you without the parents going freaky on you. And I REALLY hope you get your money.

apples and bananas
    I've decided to issue the letter via email Saturday morning (so it doesn't look like I was waiting to be paid) And I will attach it as a PDF. I'll also give her a copy when she picks up her receipts and the remainder of the supplies she has here. If she doesn't pick them up I will mail out the paperwork.

I agree, not the best way Id like to handle it, but this lady thinks she has 9 lives with me. I don't want to have a face to face with her in front of the kids and I know she will immediatly know the letter is to terminate and immediatly open it and read it in front of me. This is a person that needs to read it while I'm not in front of her.

I also know she has care for her other child through the family because she removed him from my care for "camp" and now he's suddenly showing up with her to pick up the young one. Ya... Camp...right... So, she has alternate care immediatly.

Outgoing
    Just a question: I would issue my termination on pay day. They pay Monday morning for the following two weeks. I would give them termination letter at the end of the day. Is that underhanded?

Expansive...
    Your letter sounds great! I'm so glad you're getting them out of your hair!