Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    Just a question: I would issue my termination on pay day. They pay Monday morning for the following two weeks. I would give them termination letter at the end of the day. Is that underhanded?
    Nope, not at all. Here's the thing.....when a dcparent gets terminated via the dreaded "letter" that means, for the most part, it is somewhat unexpected. Well, I see this no different than someone getting fired at their job. Here's the thing, it takes considerable time, resources and money to replace both dckids AND employees. No one terminates a kid or fires an employee unless they HAVE to. It is always FAR easier to keep the kids you have or the employee you have.

So, if someone is getting terminated, just like the real world of work and employees, it is NEVER underhanded. Just like how I believe that people get themselves fired, dcfamilies get themselves terminated. Perhaps if they had done their part and lived up to the terms of the contract that they signed and agreed upon at the onset of care then they wouldn't have to be worried about being "underhandedly" handed a termination letter on pay day.

Stop worrying about the dcparents feelings. If you have to terminate them then they have already been given enough thought (and likely chances) over and over and over again.

Now, with that said..........someth ing to always consider is the form of payment. If they paid by cheque, and you give them a term letter on pay day you can guarantee they will cancel payment on that cheque. So, if payment issues are gonna come up then be sure you actually HAVE your money BEFORE you hand over that letter. Even if you have to take that cheque to the bank it was issued on and cash it for "cash" then that is what you do to ensure you get paid before you give them the opportunity to NOT pay you.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 07-27-2012 at 06:46 AM.

From the parents point of view...I completely understand that question. If you terminated me I would be like "ok see ya!" no way I would pay for the next two weeks. I guess if your not paid ahead (the parent) then when the provider terminates...you walk. The only way I could see that working would be if they pay ahead for two weeks at a time, so you wait for them to pay that money and then terminate. that way if they get pissed and walk, you get that cash...otherwise they have to stick it out and stay 2 weeks while you search to fill the spot. I dont know about anyone else but when I have been desperate enough to get rid of someone (twice in almost 10 years) I didnt care about the money, I just never wanted them to walk through my door again!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    From the parents point of view...I completely understand that question. If you terminated me I would be like "ok see ya!" no way I would pay for the next two weeks. I guess if your not paid ahead (the parent) then when the provider terminates...you walk. The only way I could see that working would be if they pay ahead for two weeks at a time, so you wait for them to pay that money and then terminate. that way if they get pissed and walk, you get that cash...otherwise they have to stick it out and stay 2 weeks while you search to fill the spot. I dont know about anyone else but when I have been desperate enough to get rid of someone (twice in almost 10 years) I didnt care about the money, I just never wanted them to walk through my door again!!!!!!!
    EXACTLY. And this is why I use my deposit at the beginning of care. Because when I want you gone I want you GONE. I want you to leave NOW. I do not want you hanging around quibbling over money.

But, not everyone has the ability to just terminate on a whim and be okay with it for financial reasons. So, as fellow providers, we have to share with them, options to ensuring they can still pay their mortgage while maintaining professionalism and staying within the terms of the contract.

And what we also need to remember is that the parents SIGNED a contract that clearly stated that two weeks fees were STILL due at the end of care. So, it really doesn't matter if they are mad and say 'see ya" the point is they agreed to those terms at the onset of care. They don't get to agree when it is convenient and then disagree and WALK when it's not. THEY got themselves terminated and now they live and die by the contract - and that means paying the last two weeks.