Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Determining a part-time rate

When figuring out a part-time rate, what do you base it on? Do you just take a portion/percentage of the full-time rate? Do you figure out a daily rate and just use that, whether its for full or part- time care?

Im curious to see how other people figure out rates other than full-time.

I just looked at what others in the area had priced it on, and choose my rate! That probably doesn't help you at all.

Here are my rates:
    F/T ~ $35 (more than 4 hours)
    P/T ~ $25 (4 hours and less)
    Before & After ~ $20

Now that I'm looking at it - it's $10 lower than my full-time rate - so maybe you could go by that?
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 03-27-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: adding more

I only do full day care. It is much easier to fill a whole day than a part day.

My PT fees are $5 more per day than my FT fees.

Shy
    My part time rates are also more than my f/time. They are taking up a full time spot even though some days its nice to be lighter, I want to get as much money as I can out of them because p/t is technically hard on a daily schedule, and is hard for parents to find, so I charge large. Mine is 45/day, full is 40. School age jk/sk is 30/d. Otherwise its 5.00 per half hour before and after school.

If you have just after school care, do you still charge the $20 before & after rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Owner View Post
    If you have just after school care, do you still charge the $20 before & after rate?
    Technically for me it's $10 for morning and $10 for afternoon.

Euphoric !
    The after school rate is often more because it is longer and they have a snack so $10 for before and $15 for after but $20 for both is very common in my area.

Shy
    I do the same as play and learn, my 1/2 day rate is 10 less than the full day rate. My b/a school rate is only 15 for both and it's 10 if only before or after care is needed, I have a cap on after school care at 10 of 2.5 hrs, if you need more than that you pay the $15.
    I used to do more of an hourly rate but it got too confusing so now I stick to my b/a school rate, 1/2 day and full day. I used to take my highest rate figure out over a 9 hr day what it was per hour and round up to the closest .5 and charge that. So right now I charge $35/9 is 3.88 so I would round it up to maybe 4, but since it's so close I'd probably go to 4.50.
    HTH

thanks for sharing your rates The situation I'm in is, I took on an only 'after school' friends kid, under the impression it was 'full time'. I did a weekly rate of $75, works out to 15 per day. However, now I find out that one parent may be home 1 day of the week, every other week and come Easter holidays they will be taking more time off than my holidays...I'm off Friday-Monday (not charging for Easter Monday). But if they take more than that time off am I obliged not to charge them? Also I know they're trying to get me to not charge them for the day the parent is home for 1 weekday...I'm at odds coz they're friends too! Am I being too strict? I only care for 1 full-time daycare child apart from this other school age afterschool child..

Euphoric !
    I know this is an old post... just thought I would weigh in!!
    I charge my full time spots on a monthly basis (that is, as of now, $600 per month). If someone wants part-time, they actually pay more if you look at daily rates (p/t pays $40 daily). I have 2 different arrangements; 2 families pay me a set amount per month, which guarantees them a set number of days. They basically tell me what days they need, and a spot is available. If they need more, they pay more. If a family doesn't want to pay a specific amount, they pay me daily at the end of the day (and they take a chance when booking that I may be full that day). I find this works for the most part.
    As for the dilemma (that I hope you have sorted out now), I have been there. I was doing after school care for a friend. I ended up discounting my regular rate for her, significantly, because she said it would only be for an hour or so daily. Well, wouldn't you know, it turned into an hour and a half to two hours, daily. Then he would go for a long stretch where he was sick/absent/on vacation and not coming, and there were all sorts of hints about me charging even less. I didn't say a word, just kept collecting regular fees. I know she's a friend, but it's still a spot (that could be filled by someone who WILL pay the regular rate), and it's my budget on the line here. The end of the story is, she no longer uses me for regular care, just drop in. No hard feelings, she just didn't want to pay what she needed to maintain her kid's availability in my childcare. Oh well.