Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Is it bad of me??

My 9mos old screamer had a rough night with her parents and mom asked that if she wanted to nap 'extra' today to just let her. They got maybe 1hr sleep. I said ok...

Well she got here at 9:00am fell alseep at 10am woke up at 2pm because I went in to get her. Fed her lunch (no crying) she even played on the floor and......wait for it.....SMILED at me!!! Then at 3:00 she started getting cranky and tugging at her ear, from my own DD that's either sleepy or ear infection LOL so I held her for 2min and she's out again!!

So it's bad that I'm SOOOOO enjoying letting her sleep??

p.s. I'm coming down with something, achy body and sore throat so it's perfect timing. I didn't want another battling day today of all days.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Poor thing ~ I would let her sleep as well ... are they not concerned as to 'why' she did not sleep all night?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    oh wow! enjoy the quiet time!

Euphoric !
    What the heck? 9 to 2? Does she not sleep at night? Oh well, you got paid for a nice quiet day. What can you do?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Maybe she has been fighting a virus and thats with the "cranky"? when kids are under the weather (within my sick policy guidelines) and in my care, I let them sleep as much as they want. When a 9 mo old sleeps, she needs it. Maybe you picked up her sickies? I feel for you, not fun being sick and having to take care of babies. Get your rest!....when you can.

I agree; let her sleep. I'm caring for a 5 year old boy for the summer who comes along with quite challenging behaviour issues (ironically none of which were disclosed during interviews/paperwork): Peeing his pants, ADHD, extremely picky eater, defient personality, severe speech issues (my husband & I both find ourselves getting headaches from straining to understand him all day). I insist on a quiet time for all my children; irregardless of age. In the case of this little boy WE NEED IT! Lately, he has been falling asleep (for about an hour or so) during his quiet time....which Mom has complained leads to him being up & around all night at home. So, she has asked that I not let him fall asleep. I understand her point, but also stressed that I will not police their quiet time; it's my quiet (break) time too. Only 10 more days with this guy & his sister (who is a great kid)...sounds awful, I know, but I'm so counting down.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I have had alot of parents (not of special needs kids though) that ask me to let them stay up rather than take part in nap/rest time because they are not going to bed well at night. although I do understand the concerns and always try to work with the parents, I also explain to the parents that I too need a little bit of a break in such a crazy day ( the break is to clean the dishes, do laundry, clean floors) if I have time I will put my feet up for 15 min. if I have time. I require ALL children to take part in quiet time, under 4yrs have to nap, above 4 can rest unless behavior shows they need a sleep. IF during their rest an older child falls asleep...they need it! I will let them, maybe wake them after and hour or so.

I have found ALOT of kids go to bed 7-7:30. WOW! no wonder the parent is having a hard time getting them to go down at night, they go to bed when they get home from my house.!!!! In SOME cases I feel like telling the parent "maybe you should spend a little more time with your child after you get home from work, play outside go for a walk. then put them to bed after they have gotten a little extra love from mom and dad. SOMETIMES feel like the parent just wants peace and quiet after a long days work, and doesnt want to be bothered by the care of their own child!!!! VENTING a little!!!! thanks lol

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    I have found ALOT of kids go to bed 7-7:30. WOW! no wonder the parent is having a hard time getting them to go down at night, they go to bed when they get home from my house.!!!! In SOME cases I feel like telling the parent "maybe you should spend a little more time with your child after you get home from work, play outside go for a walk. then put them to bed after they have gotten a little extra love from mom and dad. SOMETIMES feel like the parent just wants peace and quiet after a long days work, and doesnt want to be bothered by the care of their own child!!!! VENTING a little!!!! thanks lol
    I've said and felt this exact same thing!! I would BEG for my daughter to stay up later when I was working...I'd get home at 6/6:30 make dinner then bathe her and she'd want to sleep at 7:30/8 and was so sad...only 1hr with my baby each night was NOT enough!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Poor thing ~ I would let her sleep as well ... are they not concerned as to 'why' she did not sleep all night?
    I wondered the same thing. I believe she is teething so badly but they don't believe in giving her anything for the pain....just her "amber necklace" that doesn't do CRAP! this baby is still pink cheeks, drooling all over, gumming anything she can get into her mouth etc. Dad said at one point she was up at 2am and didn't cry but was awake so he couldn't sleep...

I told him put her in her crib, make sure she's safe and YOU go to sleep! If SHE doesn't want to sleep fine but why are you awake just staring at her? NO....If it were me I'd close the lights and if she was quiet then so be it! it's BED time not play time. They "spoil" her to no end....and some people say "oh they're first time parents" I HATE that excuse. I'm a first time parent too and I don't let my kid run the house or allow them to do what they want when they want.

Euphoric !
    Yes...the sleep thing...it's a tough one for some parents. I have an 18 month old in my care who routinely wakes up in the night...and is sometimes up for hours...his parents are exhausted and he needs two naps a day still because he is too! I think some people just cannot seem to get sleep to happen for their babies...I am not a huge advocate of crying it out in the middle of the night...my kids always came into bed with me when they woke up, but then we would all go back to sleep. They grew out of it on their own and slept fully in their own beds by 18 months with no waking up. BUT, if I had a child who was still keeping me awake that much at 18 months, I think I would have to let them cry it out. The teething excuse I have always found a bit dubious...yes, the do get pain from teeth coming in or irritability, but it cannot be used as the excuse every time they cry or won't sleep...they learn how to manipulate us early on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    I wondered the same thing. I believe she is teething so badly but they don't believe in giving her anything for the pain....just her "amber necklace" that doesn't do CRAP! this baby is still pink cheeks, drooling all over, gumming anything she can get into her mouth etc. Dad said at one point she was up at 2am and didn't cry but was awake so he couldn't sleep...

I told him put her in her crib, make sure she's safe and YOU go to sleep! If SHE doesn't want to sleep fine but why are you awake just staring at her? NO....If it were me I'd close the lights and if she was quiet then so be it! it's BED time not play time. They "spoil" her to no end....and some people say "oh they're first time parents" I HATE that excuse. I'm a first time parent too and I don't let my kid run the house or allow them to do what they want when they want.