Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Are parents usually okay with you taking holidays?

I had my third interview today. She was lovely, but was clearly taken aback when I said I take up to 4 weeks (unpaid) holiday. I told her I close for two weeks at Christmas and she winced... she then asked if she had to pay when she goes on vacation, and I said yes, she pays to hold the spot. I thought this was probably the norm, but I'm second guessing myself. Do the rest of you take less than 4 weeks a year? Do you let parents take vacation outside those four weeks and not have to pay you?
    Thanks!
    Diane

apples and bananas
    I personally take 2 unpaid per year and allow the clients to take 1 week unpaid. I close for a few days around christmas but not a full week, unless it makes sense based on the way Christmas and New Years falls.

But, I do know that there are caregivers in my area that do exactly what you do. So, I guess it depends on the client. I do less because it gives me the edge and most clients go with me first based on that.

Written in my manual is that I can take up to 10 weeks unpaid holidays PER YEAR! But the norm is I take about 5 weeks. I tell them at the interview, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week during March Break, and the others during the summer months, a few days here and there to extend long weekends. Parents MUST pay for ALL STAT Holidays.

Parents HAVE to pay if they're taking vacation days that do not land on mine. This is to hold their spot, and so I don't advertise.

I suggest that these parents have great family support systems or they have backup care, as I do not provide it.

They don't like my rules, then they may leave.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I take a week in the spring, a week in the summer and a week in the fall. Then there are usually days off around Christmas, although last year there were only two working days so I took 2 paid personal days that I have written into my contract so I had a paid week off at Christmas, but I'm not doing that this year.

My vacation weeks are unpaid and I choose my weeks for next year by the end of Nov. this year. I write a letter to all the parents so that they can arrange next year's holidays for themselves with their employers based on when I'm closed or make other arrangements.

Since I take 3 weeks off every year the parents pay 49 weeks per year full fees, no questions, no matter the reason they miss a day or week for their own vacation, sickness, whatever. I find it's working great for me and my daycare families are very happy with my system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks to both of you, I feel better now. Four weeks doesn't seem outrageous now. She was also questioning paying for stat holidays, but I told her clearly they are paid. I've learned enough on this site not to feel desperate, so if she turns me down over these issues, I'm fine with it. I have another interview at 6:30 tonight, so I wanted to reassure myself LOL
    Thanks!
    Diane

I take the 10 stats, 10 vacation and 10 personal/emergency/sick days a year ... whether they pay or not depends on what payment option they've chosen for their contract with me because to help people 'get' that they pay for the SPACE they are occupying either way because my income is based on the 5 spaces I am legally allowed to have and it is all in how you choose to budget if you've included or not included these things upfront for the parent or 'hidden' within your fee and you put the money aside yourself for it .... so Option A you pay more for your daily fee and when I am closed for the above days you do not pay or Option B you pay a lower amount daily but you pay the same 52 weeks a year unless I take MORE time off than the scheduled closures.

Some people do not 'understand' how budgeting works for childcare ~ explaining it in the above way seems to work cause I do not have anyone who 'questions' and they either pick A or B depending on how they like to budget at home ~ if they choose A than I put the extra I have collected away into my savings account so when I am 'closed' I can access it if need be since my weekly income takes a hit than.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I'll admit that I am terrible for not taking enough time off. But, that being said, they are NOT your boss and you are entitled to take time off too. If I had a dcparent give me a hassle about taking time off then I would have to rethink their status here.

Most parents I know START their jobs with 2 weeks vacation a year and then as they stay at the company gain more days each year. The typical parent in my care has AT LEAST four weeks of PAID vacation a year. Many of my dcparents have far more than that.

Euphoric !
    I was just thinking about my newest boy who started the first of July because I had a vacation the last week of June and didn't want him to start until then so the family made arrangements for June. Now I have a family who want to start in September (not signed on the dotted line yet) and I told them I have a week off the first of October and they looked at each other and said, so and so could help us for a week. If they want the space they will figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    .... If they want the space they will figure it out.
    Exactly!

Seriously if they do not have back up care and other options for times when a provider has to close than IMO choosing HOME childcare is not the best option for them ~ this is why there are big ole centres where they are open 12 hours a day and 52 weeks a year and are staffed regardless of regular providers being sick or on vacation or quitting ~ downside being as the parent you've got absolutely no control over WHO might be working with your kid from one day to the next and you often will arrive in the morning to a total stranger ~ but if you do not get any holidays, sick days or time off yourself as part of your employment than well its a con you'll have to learn to live with I guess!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I take 2 weeks paid and one week unpaid, but I am thinking about making it 2 weeks unpaid so that I have a total of 4 weeks. It depends on what is normal in your area, but you have to take care f yourself so you don't burn out. Their kids benefit from a rested and energized daycare provider more than one who never takes time off, but is completely burnt out.