Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    Makes sense. I thought about doing it that way but then in a way I guess I thought it was asking a bit much of the parents. I know I'm in business for myself and need to learn to not to get my emotions invovled so much but sometimes it's hard. I guess if someone wants you bad enough they're going to pay, right!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    Makes sense. I thought about doing it that way but then in a way I guess I thought it was asking a bit much of the parents. I know I'm in business for myself and need to learn to not to get my emotions invovled so much but sometimes it's hard. I guess if someone wants you bad enough they're going to pay, right!
    But the parents aren't asking to much to hold a spot for months for them while you loose hundreds if not thousands of dollars? You are not asking to much to charge a holding fee, your services are worth something and you're right...if they want you bad enough, they will pay. I have never had an issue with a parent not wanting to pay a holding fee.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    I just changed my contract for any new parents coming in. I charge a $100.00 deposit which will be used towards first months fees if care is needed within the month. If it's longer than that, a $200.00 per month non-refundable holding fee is required!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    I just changed my contract for any new parents coming in. I charge a $100.00 deposit which will be used towards first months fees if care is needed within the month. If it's longer than that, a $200.00 per month non-refundable holding fee is required!
    Awesome! Good for you! ...and you know what? They will pay it if they want their child with you.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I have only ever held a spot when I didn't actually have space until the month the child was starting and I took a deposit of two weeks of care. If I were to consider holding a spot when I have the space avaiable, I would do what some of the others have said and charge a holding fee.

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    Generally, I do not hold a spot for any length of time. If it is open in Sept. but a family does not want to start until Dec., they will pay full fees for that 3 month period. They will usually visit frequently to acclimatize their child. The position is theirs, so they are welcome to drop in any reasonable time of any day they wish.
    If it is a family that has a first child with us and who have been very reasonable and kind, I would compromise. They would pay for 1.5 months extra, and I would give up the income for that 1.5 months. BUT I never lose track of the needs of my family and the bills that await at the end of each month!

Outgoing
    I charge one week's fees per month to hold a spot. This must be paid by post dated cheque when they sign the contract. If I am holding the spot for more than a month then the fees are not counted towards anything but if it is a month or less then the fee covers visits and part of their first week.

Starting to feel at home...
    I charge a $300 deposit that goes towards their first month's pay if its the month coming up or if it is for the first month that I have available....for example...if I know I will be having a space open up in July, and I meet with someone in April that wants it, I don't charge a holding fee if they are starting in July, but I do charge the deposit to "secure" their spot so that I know that yes, in fact these people are truly comitting. But anything after that is $300/mth, with a limit to how many months I can hold depending on what I feel works for me at that time.