Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waiting list

Outgoing

Waiting list

Okay, so I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch BUT, I have an interview on Monday, if I get this family, I will be FULL. I'm not saying it's a given, but what happens when someone shows their interest? Should I say - I'm sorry I'm full? Should I meet with them in case I like them? If I meet them and decide I like them, and am unable to "replace" any of the other families I already have (because I like them or whatever) how do i start a waiting list? How do I inform parents that they are on a waiting list? How does this work?

Ya ~ once I am full I just thank them for their interest and tell them the spaces are currently all full, I ask them if they would like me to keep their contact info should something change (aka go on the waiting list) as well as asking them if they would like me to share their childcare needs with my local network to see if I have a peer who might be able to help them.

for the waiting list I keep a little Excel file that I keep the date they contacted me, when they wanted care for, ft or pt, hours care needed, name, contact info phone and emails and child's name and birth date and any other 'comments' they made that I might want to remember ~ aka looking for special diet or what not. I remind them if they are truly interested in care at some point to also keep contact to see how openings are looking ~ if they do I make note of that and for those who do not after a while I just 'delete them' assuming too much time has past and they must have secured a spot and forgotten about me
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I thank them for their interest first and tell them that I'm full but if they still like to come and meet me they are welcome to. I tell them I will place them on waiting list and will inform them if and when I have spot available. All of them came to meet me and i placed them on my waiting list. I toke notes like when they need care , their child's age and what i feel about them etc. Recently, i have two spot became available and I called the two families which i liked best and called them. I now have two little monkies, one will be starting in September and the other one will start in October.

I suggest that you meet them and place them on you waiting list as you never know what will happen tomorrow.

Yes, for sure I do advise them that I am currently full but also tell them that things do change (people move, lose jobs, get pregnant, or simply decide to put their 3 year old in alternative care perceiving this as school readiness...the list goes on). I welcome them to come meet, see what I have to offer and let them decide to join my waitlist if they choose to do so. I currently have 2 on waitlist who haven't even had their babies yet...and as things stand with my current group will have no room for them...but you just never know. Also, get to know other providers in your area & recommend them too. We are a sisterhood & should support each other
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

My private time is precious to me...I don't meet with anyone unless I have a space to fill...It sounds harsh but I work 10 hours a day and my home time is very special...I don't want my time nor their time wasted by meeting me if I don't have a space for them...
    RainCanada

apples and bananas
    I'm a little different. I meet with everyone who wants to meet with me. I've met with pregnant ladies looking for care over a year away.

I first find out thier schedule and days needed and start date. If I don't have space I let them know, but I also tell them that anything can happen and I have an active wait list that I call people from. I only meet with people who have good hours.

Here's my theory.

People with babies know people with babies. My business is all about marketing. If client X comes to meet with me and I never see them again as I never have a space, they will get an impression from me. Their friend has a baby and asks for referals. Client X met with me and liked me so suggests me.

I've gotten clients from this method. People talk about me, I'm hard to get into so people want me more! It gives me the freedom to terminate on a moments notice and know I have 3 people waiting for the spot.

Works for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    I'm a little different. I meet with everyone who wants to meet with me. I've met with pregnant ladies looking for care over a year away.

I first find out thier schedule and days needed and start date. If I don't have space I let them know, but I also tell them that anything can happen and I have an active wait list that I call people from. I only meet with people who have good hours.

Here's my theory.

People with babies know people with babies. My business is all about marketing. If client X comes to meet with me and I never see them again as I never have a space, they will get an impression from me. Their friend has a baby and asks for referals. Client X met with me and liked me so suggests me.

I've gotten clients from this method. People talk about me, I'm hard to get into so people want me more! It gives me the freedom to terminate on a moments notice and know I have 3 people waiting for the spot.

Works for me.
    . Yes, I so agree! I too weed out from the initial phone interview too, as my potential client base is limited (my husband is a teacher & I choose to only care for teacher's children...so having the summers etc. off is important to me). With that being the case, I like to network with as many teachers within the different schools in our area as possible.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I definitely do a waiting list. This way I already have a full week of interviews if someone gives notice. I have a waiting list for 2013 (mostly) right now. but I do not give interviews until I have a spot coming. I don't want to give up the little personal time I have to do it (although apples and bananas is right about the marketing factor)

Euphoric !
    I keep a waiting list once I'm full and do not conduct any more interviews. Why would I want to conduct interviews if I don't have to? That's just wasting my valuable time.

This year I had a little boy leave unexpectedly and I contacted all the people who had asked to be on my waiting list. It was just as I thought. Everyone had already found care and there was only one family interested in an interview just in case they wanted to move their child here. What a waste of time! I'm not keeping a waiting list any more.