Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Question RELOCATING from BC to Alberta???!!!???

I may be relocating to Edmonton (or surrounding area) and the regulations are different there. For Example:

1) In BC, with ECE, one can have 8 children. In Alberta, one can have 6 children max no matter what.
    2) In Alberta, when a day home is licensed, families qualify for licensing. In BC, it's the income level that qualifies a family....

Is ECE good for anything in Alberta? Preschool maybe??
    Has anybody who owned their own center made a daycare move from BC to Alberta?
    If you're reading this and know of someone else even, who has "been there, done that" please point them in my direction Thanks!!

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Hi,
    I'm in Edmonton and although I don't have my ECE I may be able to help you with a few things. Firstly it depends on if you will be going private or agency. The rules are different.

1) Private can have 6 chilren PLUS thier own, agency can have 6 total and have to follow ratios.
    2) I'm not sure I understand what you're meaning. If you are through an agency you are licensed but not all families will be recieving subsidy. Subsidy is based on income level of the parents. I myself had my son in a licensed dayhome through and agency but did not qualify for subsidy. It didn't matter I just paid full fees.

If you have your ECE and you go through and agency there are certian goverment incentives based on your "level". Look at this site for more information on levels. http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/1158.cfm. Dependant on age of children and what level you are you recieved additional goverment funding per child. Once you get up to say a level 3 (the names have changed... I think it's now called "Child Development Supervisor") the government funding can be substansial.

I personally went private as I do not have ECE and didn't want to have to deal with an agency if there was nothing in it for me.

I hope this helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post:

Thank you Toregone!! I appreciate your response I'm going to look at the link you sent right now

Now I need a good area to move to. What are a few really good areas in Edmonton?

Euphoric !
    Many moons ago when I was with my first husband we were pondering moving to Edmonton and we really loved the St Albert area just outside of Edmonton .... Not sure if this helps or if the area has changed since then but it was really pretty

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    St. Albert is lovely, it is a bedroom community just north of the city. However if you are buying rather than renting property taxes are crazy there! I found a house I loved there but refused to buy because the taxes are just so crazy compared to other places.

If you are looking to move to the North side of Edmonton you have to be kind of picky. There are many areas that are quite run down and just not nice areas of town. That being said there are some very lovely communities (Castledowns, Greishbach, Brintnell to name a few) so you just need to know where to look. If you are looking for South Side very sorry but I don't know the nicer neighbourhoods there as I'm a north side gal . Sherwood Park is a city just east of Edmonton (similar to St. Albert) and it is quite nice but again housing prices and taxes are higher than in Edmonton. If you are looking for a slighly longer distance from the city Fort Sask is really quite nice. It's too far for my hubby to commute otherwise we may have bought there.

Hope this helps!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post:

Hello We moved to Edmonton! We've been here for 5 days in the SW end. WOW, what a drive!! I just wanted to reach out and say thanks again. Edmonton is beautiful!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    Hi,
    I'm in Edmonton and although I don't have my ECE I may be able to help you with a few things. Firstly it depends on if you will be going private or agency. The rules are different.

1) Private can have 6 chilren PLUS thier own, agency can have 6 total and have to follow ratios.
    2) I'm not sure I understand what you're meaning. If you are through an agency you are licensed but not all families will be recieving subsidy. Subsidy is based on income level of the parents. I myself had my son in a licensed dayhome through and agency but did not qualify for subsidy. It didn't matter I just paid full fees.

If you have your ECE and you go through and agency there are certian goverment incentives based on your "level". Look at this site for more information on levels. http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/1158.cfm. Dependant on age of children and what level you are you recieved additional goverment funding per child. Once you get up to say a level 3 (the names have changed... I think it's now called "Child Development Supervisor") the government funding can be substansial.

I personally went private as I do not have ECE and didn't want to have to deal with an agency if there was nothing in it for me.

I hope this helps!
    Hey, thanks for this. I am also relocating. Have you had luck as private? Do parents mind that? Do they prefer agency?