Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Shoes on right feet

Any tricks to help kids learn to put their shoes on the right feet? Thanks!

Starting to feel at home...
    What is the age of the child? For the younger ones as long as they are comfortable I just let them put their shoes on how they like. I find this helps them gain independence and confidence getting themselves dressed. As for older children, just a gentle reminder of showing them how the shoe curves...eventually they get it

Expansive...
    I tell kids that the Velcro/ buckles point to the outside. It's really helpful when kids have shoes with pictures on them so you can say that Dora, cars etc. go on the outside so everyone can see them!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    I tell kids that the Velcro/ buckles point to the outside. It's really helpful when kids have shoes with pictures on them so you can say that Dora, cars etc. go on the outside so everyone can see them!
    Ditto ~ sandals, velcro and fasters cross over to the 'outside' of your foot ... and I will actually put 'stickers' on lace up shoes on the outside if there is not one ... but that said if they do not 'get' the clues right away and put them on 'wrong' I always just ask them 'do they feel good' and if they say yes ~ I do not fix them and just let them go the older they get they start to 'think' about the feel good question and look at the 'cues' given for left and right foot and if they are wrong they start to say 'no they don't feel good' and change them over on their own.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    If its ok with the parents and the child is old enough draw a small happy face on each shoe, tell the child that the happy faces must give each other a hug/kiss when you put your shoes on. If the happy faces aren't facing each other then they are on the wrong feet. Worked for one of my daycare kiddos who just couldn't grasp the right feet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    If its ok with the parents and the child is old enough draw a small happy face on each shoe, tell the child that the happy faces must give each other a hug/kiss when you put your shoes on. If the happy faces aren't facing each other then they are on the wrong feet. Worked for one of my daycare kiddos who just couldn't grasp the right feet
    This is a cute idea too!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I always tell them buckles or pictures or flowers or whatever is on the velcro strip goes on the outside too. But Michelle, I love your idea! Awesome!

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone! My own son is 4 and is still struggling...he always puts them on the wrong feet and always asks..."Is this the right foot?"...it drives me nuts! I am hoping I can get him to get it himself by the time he goes to school in September. I have a dcb who is almost 3 and he doesn't get it either, but then he has only just finally learned to put the shoes on himself with a lot of encouragment from me...I am not pushing right feet with him yet! I will try to happy faces...thanks for that cute idea! I have tried teh picture goes on the outside, or they shouldn't look at each other, but he doesn't seem to get it...the kissing happy faces may be simpler to grasp

Expansive...
    I've seen once someone cut a big sticker in half and put one hale in each shoe....puppy, car, castle etc. if the "match up" the picture then it's the right foot....not sure if it works but the idea is cute
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    When the kids open the velcro of their shoes they should be able to put the two pieces together and pick up their shoes then they are in the right order.

The good news is that most kids runners are made with a wide enough toe box that it doesn't totally matter - at least not to the child.

When shoes had the big rubber piece on the toes we used to use a sharpie marker and draw a happy face smile from shoe to shoe. If the shoes were in the right order it made a complete smile. If your shoes didn't smile then your feet wouldnt' be happy so they needed to be changed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: