Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milk! :)

Outgoing

Milk! :)

Hey all

Was just wondering what everyone does in terms of supplying milk for the kids.
    I have a 13 month old dcb who just started, he is on formula and also organic homo milk. (mom brings a bag each week). my own 9 month old is not on cow's milk yet so we dont have homo in the house. My husband and I drink 1% and my 2 year old (and the other 2 yr olds are served 2%. So in our fridge, we have THREE seperate jugs of milk, 1%, 2%, and Homo.

Im thinking the 2 yr olds can switch to 1% by this age, but will check with the doctor first my son's diet. (He is a hefty 37lbs, so weight gain should not be an issue).

My questions are:
    1.What percentage milk do you supply for your dcks and at what age do they switch, if at all to a lower %?

2. If you had a child who just started on homo, do you supply it, or the parents?

3. How much milk do you serve to the kids per day?

4. Any other thoughts on milk consumption?
    Last edited by KingstonMom; 07-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.

I have 2% in the home for our use. I used to serve milk at mealtimes; but so much got wasted. Now, it's simply water as a beverage with lots of food sources for Dairy instead. Parents are fully aware & support this. If whole milk is needed I either provide & charge the parent for it or am open to them bringing it as well. Hope that helps
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I provide the homo milk since I use it for my own kids. One glass (approx. 5 oz) at every meal. If children are on a different diete then the parents provide it.

Euphoric !
    I do serve homo milk, but it's because I have it for my own kids anyway. I only give each child a small cup of milk per day (half a cup really) at lunchtime (I give it to them as they finish up their meals). If they drink the whole thing and want more, I give them more, but otherwise I don't want to give them a full cup and have it wasted. For babies who are sitll bottle fed, I have parents supply the milk/formula or whatever they want in it. Instead of having them bring a bag of milk, I have them fill the bottles and send them each day and then I send them home for washing. I don't think there is a huge difference between 1% and 2% though, so you'd probably be safe to just use the 1%...one thing I have done in the past is add a dab of homo to the 1% to make it more like 2%.

apples and bananas
    I serve 2% at lunch times. I never refuse a child milk, so if they ask they can have it again, but my kids are usually good with water. Parents bring homo and formula. However, I'm about to have 3 on HOMO so it may be easier to just supply it for them. I'll have to cost it out first.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

I don't serve ANY milk at all. One, I do not think it is the perfect drinks as many people do. We are the only mammal that drinks another mammals milk. It's not natural.

Second, I prefer kids to EAT their calories and nutrients. I find that "milk babies" simply want to suck on a bottle or sippy cup of milk instead of actually eating. It is far better for a child to eat and get nutrients than to drink milk. And, if you get kids eating properly then they get enough fats from foods and don't need the milk.

IME, kids who drink a lot of milk don't eat well and are actually worse for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

If you drink it in your home than I would serve it to that child, but just like anything else..I wouldnt go out and purchase something special for just one child. No matter what it is, if you have a child in care that requires a dif food than all the others, ask the parent to provide it for the child.
    In US the percentage has gone down from homo to 1% or 2% (I believe) due to the overwhelming number of children overweight. Personally, I do not agree with the milk type....DO think things like packaged foods, preservatives and FAST FOOD are more to blame. But thats another topic!

Anything in a 'infant bottle' is provided by the parent in a quantity to supply for ONE DAY ~ do not have room in my fridge for a weeks worth of stuff.

If they have a 'allergy or restriction' requiring special milk the parent provides that ~ enough for ONE day supply again do not have room in the fridge for cartons of different products.

I provide 2% Milk or Almond milk options for kids ~ however like Judy I am not a big pusher of 'milk in a cup' for kids ... I tend to serve water in the cup and use the 'dairy serving' in their food ~ milk on their cereal, or in the cream sauce at lunch, yogurt for morning snack and so forth.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I stock 1% and 2% in my home as it's what my family drinks. At any given time I have about 16 litres of the stuff in the fridge. Kids can have this at breakfast and in a sippy before nap time if they need. Homo if needed is supplied by parents. I do limit the amount of milk I give children though simpily because of wastage. At first it was milk with every meal and snack and so much wasted. I have one child that doesn't really like milk so unless she requests it I never serve it to her. She is strictly water.

1.What percentage milk do you supply for your dcks and at what age do they switch, if at all to a lower %?

2. If you had a child who just started on homo, do you supply it, or the parents?

3. How much milk do you serve to the kids per day?

4. Any other thoughts on milk consumption?

We drink 1% milk. I have had parents request homo milk in the past and I tell them that I will buy
    buy it for the dck's. I will not buy organic. If the parents want more than this, they can supply it on their own. I only serve milk with lunch, and only then at parents' request. We drink water, water and more water.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: