Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

View Poll Results: Have you, or would you, if deemed necessary, spank your kid(s)?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 59.38%
  • No

13 40.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spanking Kids

Thats just because their not old enough yet. I was raised as a "spanked" child so on and so forth. Didnt screw me up!!!! I believe firmly in "spare the rod, spoil the child" with ALOT of thought and under the right circumstances there is Nothing wrong with correcting your child when they have made an improper choice, by spanking. It's not for every child, its not for every parent, and def not for every circumstance. But, that being said...IMO spankings are a proper way of raising your child. (under correct circumstance only) mind you: my kids are 9yr and 11yrs. didnt have their first REAL spanking until about 4. did get the typical butt swat for getting into things they shouldnt and such. but real spanks began around 4.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Thats just because their not old enough yet. I was raised as a "spanked" child so on and so forth. Didnt screw me up!!!! I believe firmly in "spare the rod, spoil the child" with ALOT of thought and under the right circumstances there is Nothing wrong with correcting your child when they have made an improper choice, by spanking. It's not for every child, its not for every parent, and def not for every circumstance. But, that being said...IMO spankings are a proper way of raising your child. (under correct circumstance only) mind you: my kids are 9yr and 11yrs. didnt have their first REAL spanking until about 4. did get the typical butt swat for getting into things they shouldnt and such. but real spanks began around 4.
    I wasn't put in a car seat, either. I am not screwed up. I would NEVER think of not using a car seat with a child. This type of logic is not a valid argument.

I fail to see how hitting a child is sending any kind of positive message. Children do not NEED to be spanked, therefore, why on earth would you choose to inflict pain on your kid? I don't understand...

As for "spare the rod and spoil the child", I call bullshit. None of my friends or family spank. We are regularly told how great our kids behave. That's no coincidence.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

i have noticed ALOT of concerns in these replies re: "hitting" and "anger" when reffering to spanking, if a parent chooses to use spanking as a form of discipline just as any other form of discipline you should NEVER do it ANGRY! if you are angry with your child for something they have chosen to do, you need to take a moment to gather your thoughts before responding. it is the same with "yelling" at your child, you should NEVER shout at your child in anger, it IS just as damaging as physical discipline in anger. We are to set an example for our children, if we are getting angry and hitting them or yelling angry, we have the wrong "idea" of discipline. Disciplining a child is by defenition: training to act in accordance with rules. punishment inflictedby way of correction and training. to bring under control. and spank is: to strike on the buttocks with the open hand.
    If any of you have ever had to resolve to a spank for punishment toward their child for making a poor choice or breaking the rules, you will know (if you didnt do it angry) after you spank your child and inform them their choice or behavior was against your rules or inappropriate, you will find the child has remorse for what they did and in the future that child will make better choices or think before they make the same mistake again. (given the circumstances of their choice) IMO: its the proper way to raise a child. NOT THE ONLY WAY THOUGH!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks! Well I guess this informal poll has confirmed that study as over 60% of us think it is okay to spank your own child. However, I am surprised that so many also think caregivers should be able to do it! I would never, in a million years, spank a child in my care regardless of whether or not I would spank my own children. That, in my opinion, would be totally wrong and also risky!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    You can google it. It's actually the study they did back in 2003 (I think that was the year) when the spanking issue went to the Supreme Court of Canada. About half of Canadians think that parents should have the right to spank their own kids. And another 31% of the population think that caretakers should also have the right to spank.

Just google it. I don't have it bookmarked or I would just link you to it.

I live my life by the Bible alone, every question in life I have EVER needed answered is in that book. I have strong faith in God and through ALL my lifes trials and tribulations Gods word and answered prayers have always led me through. the MOST important job I have is being a Mother, although I do not do it perfect, I always turn to God in prayer and God's Word (the Bible) it is the only truth for me, not bull@&%$! sorry, thats just how I feel. Proverbs 13:24 states clearly : He who spares his rod hates his child, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly. (for me, that is spanking and firm guidance toward my children) for others it may be a firm talking or what not. But I dont regret it because I have two extreamly well behaved and very respectful children as an outcome. They never question my love or authority. just works for me! thats all.

If we dont have the freedom to raise our children how we choose, what do we have anymore?
    As far as spanking someone elses child....it should be illegal! As it is in our country, and I completely agree, NO ONE should put their hands on someone elses child. It is the parents position to discipline that child, strangers dont have unconditional love for any child like the parent does, if a stranger spanks a child the child views it as a "hit" if the parent spanks the child the child views it as "correction". JUST MY OPINION THOUGH

Outgoing
    How does a REAL spaning differ from a swat? I thought that that was what was supposed to be a spank - a swat. I hope a REAL spanking doesn't mean causing bodily harm - because then you're defeating the purpose. I just don't see how using AGGRESSION to correct a child is a good idea - or that it even works long term

Outgoing
    I live my life by the Bible alone, every question in life I have EVER needed answered is in that book. I have strong faith in God and through ALL my lifes trials and tribulations Gods word and answered prayers have always led me through. the MOST important job I have is being a Mother, although I do not do it perfect, I always turn to God in prayer and God's Word (the Bible) it is the only truth for me, not bull@&%$! sorry, thats just how I feel. Proverbs 13:24 states clearly : He who spares his rod hates his child, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly. (for me, that is spanking and firm guidance toward my children) for others it may be a firm talking or what not. But I dont regret it because I have two extreamly well behaved and very respectful children as an outcome. They never question my love or authority. just works for me! thats all.
    I totally respect your faith, however, in the proverb you just wrote, no where does it say that physical punishment is OK. It says disciplining - you chose to use spanking as discipline...thats' not God's word..IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I hope you didn't imply from my post that I am a yeller. When I said loud voice, I mean more of an "OH!! and then in a quieter voice, ohhhh no, ohhhhh dear that is scary...that hurts <insertnamehere>." I can't write it down properly....but it startles instead of shames or scares. In my opinion, this is far better than physically hitting a child.

Frustration is frustration. No parent, no matter what end of spanking debate you're on, should hit out of anger. That's abuse.
    . Sorry, no offense meant at all. I was totally not implying that you are a 'yeller'...I guess I was trying to point out that there are degrees of everything (to one person using a loud voice is yelling or a 'tap' on the hand is spanking); to what degree is it damaging and is one more damaging than the other?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    However, I am surprised that so many also think caregivers should be able to do it! I would never, in a million years, spank a child in my care regardless of whether or not I would spank my own children.
    Wow! The study stated that caregivers should be able to spank? Not in a million years!!!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~