Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Lambs and Ivy nap mats

Do any of you use these mats for your dayhome? They are super cute, but are they actually functional and do they wash well?
    Thanks!

I've never heard of these; googled...sooo cute! http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Ivy-Nap-.../dp/B00450M522. Currently my little ones have taken over each of our bedrooms & den in pack n plays or our spare beds as age appropriate. And, as nice as it would be to reclaim our rooms & not be tripping over a pack n play when I want to go to bed; they do get amazing naps when they are all separated. I'm so torn. I've been gradually picking up nap sets such as you have mentioned at yard sales, used stores etc., so at the very least I won't feel too much of a financial crunch if the group sleep setting turns out not to work.
    Last edited by Dreamalittledream; 08-02-2012 at 03:58 AM.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

apples and bananas
    These are too cute! I wonder if they are functional in a daycare environment? I'm currently sending my significant other to the states to pick up the regalo cots as they seem the most cost efficient and funtional for what I need right now. And unfortunatly, you can't get them in Canada! So, off to the states he goes.

Euphoric !
    My concern with many of those sets is that they are cute but the "mat" part on the bottom is not much more than the foam camping mats and provides very little cushioning. Makes a great blanket on a mat but still think there should be more under the child for a proper sleep.

Starting to feel at home...
    Used a similar mat in my daycare for the entire 9 years. My home is carpeted with underpad and the quilted bottom mat was enough cushioning. I bought a few extra so that they could be washed if messed, and then washed them all weekly. All my children napped in my living room, I felt more comfortable in case of emergency that they were all together.

Those are adorable ~ as other mentioned you want to take into account the 'age' of the children using them, that unlike the occasion use at 'grandmas' they will be being used daily by children over the course of years, plus the amount of laundering and cleaning that they might require from any 'bodily fluids' that children tend to exude during nap time ~ aka leaking diapers, drool, snot, puke and so forth.

I personally would be opting for function and comfort over 'fashion' you can always 'cute' things up with covers and pillows that are more economical to replace.

You can often get things like this on sale ... so full price they are $32 ~ but you can get them as low as $25 each when on sale ... lots of providers swear by these however IMO challenge being that the 'plastic' over time degrades and breaks and rips so replacement is required.

http://childcare.scholarschoice.ca/p...24477/pstart1/

I was able to get a set of the Angel rest cots 'used' through Kijiji ~ but they retail online for $35.

They are awesome and my mom made me up some 'cute' covers for them and blankets that are easy to wash and so forth ... the stack nicely in the hall closet or slide under my stepsons bed when not in use.

Plus these will last you the life time of your program because they come with like a 20 year warrantee .... and the centre I initially started working at had this brand in 1989 and they are still using the SAME cots ... clean up easy and nicely, light weight to move and comfortable for a child to sleep on ~ never had a child complain about them

http://www.baplaysets.com/shopping/ag_restcots.asp
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    I'm currently sending my significant other to the states to pick up the regalo cots as they seem the most cost efficient and funtional for what I need right now. And unfortunatly, you can't get them in Canada! So, off to the states he goes.
    Amazon . ca is now carrying them for around $40. They ship in Canada

Euphoric !
    Which brings us back to a discussion we had awhile ago about mats vs cots and where to get the best deals.

Thanks, great info about the cots - I have been wondering about this and didn't want to buy any until I knew what ages I would have (playpen vs cot/mat).

Euphoric !
    Right now I am leaning towards mats from All About Kids here in Ottawa that fold into thirds. This way as compared to the ones that fold into four the elbows and hips will be on the middle section rather than landing in the grooves.