Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Liquor in sight in playroom

In our living space in the basement right now we have some liquor bottles out in view on a ledge. They are not reachable by the children. I want to start putting more toys in the basement and playing down there more. Do you think the bottles being out in the open are okay or should I put them away (not sure where yet!??) We are not big drinkers, just have different bottles from different places we've been. As a parent coming in, would you see the collection as a red-flag??

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I personally would not be ok with liquor in a playroom. There is something just wrong about that. That being said I don't know why it would be a problem if they can not be reached by the children. I personally wouldn't do it, but as long as it's kept safe than it should be ok.

Euphoric !
    Well, personally, I would put them away, but I am kind of anal about this...I always make sure there are no empty wine bottles on the kitchen counter in the morning, etc. I am not sure that it would be a big deal to most parents, but it may have some parents concerned, especially if they are non drinkers themselves. It is your home and you shouldn't have to hide things, but if it is in the playroom, it may not be so appropriate.

Outgoing
    I'm the same as Kanga. I personally don't drink but my husband likes to have a beer every now and then after work or when we have people over and I always make sure the empties are out of sight. I just feel weird about having parents see them.
    I personally would just put them somewhere else.

Outgoing
    Okay, good to get some views! It's not a main playroom but just kind of another living space that has toys in. We wouldn't be down there all the time but occasionally.

Our alcohol like any 'drug / medication' is kept not only out of reach but out of sight and in a cupboard with a lock on it ~ however not so much because of the 'daycare' children where I am always here and able to supervise them .... but because we raised our own children in the house when we are not 'home' to supervise them all the time .... and with having had teenagers living in the house and while we trust our 'own' to make responsible choices in regards to not touching the booze ~ not sure what the peers who come to visit might do if we are 'out' of the house and it is there in sight and accessible.

Hard call because it is amazing what a child can 'reach' if properly motivated by interest ~ I personally would still keep it out of sight so as not to risk them thinking 'hmmm what is that up there in the bottle looks like BBQ sauce ~ lets add it to the dramatic play stew' in that moment where you are taking a wee bathroom break or something.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Personally, I would keep it out of sight too. As a parent, I wouldn't see it as a red flad per say, but it would definitely be offsetting!

I would see it as a red flag too.

Euphoric !
    I think it's unanimous, for your good reputation it would be best to find another place for these bottles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Probably not a bad idea! I'm not sure where I'll put them but I guess if I want to use the space bad enough, better find a place quick!! Thanks everybody!