Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Interview

First Interview

Hello!
    I am just starting a part-time day home and have my first interview with the parents tomorrow night. I am just hoping for tips so I don't forget something important!
    I am planning on going through my "handbook", a daily schedule, giving a tour, asking some things about the child (but not in great detail such as food preferences) and time for them to ask me questions.

Any tips??

Don't forget to
    - play with the child
    -allow for some silence too...a great time to observe (child's behaviours, parenting style).
    -have a notebook/pen handy
    -ask what goals they have for their child in a daycare program
    -get some sleep, relax and simply be your fantastic self
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Make sure you let them know that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. I always tell parents that I am looking for the best fit for my daycare, so I have a few interviews lined up for the spot and I will let them know once all the interviews are done. It lets them know you are not desparate and also that you care enough about your group to be careful who you choose to join it. Good luck!

perfect advice from the girls, ALWAYS let them know NO MATTER WHAT, you will give them a call or email and let them know within x amount of days. NEVER agree on day of visit. Just gives you time to think things through and replay the visit in your head, not to mention...gives you a way out if the kids are terrble or the parent seems not a good fit for you.
    I always like to go over my contracts before hand so I can remember the key points I would like to address, such as payment amount and when payment is due. 24 hour notice for days off and such. I make mistakes just about every time I interview as far as remembering to talk about certain things. I have had pushy parents that begin talking about when the child starts and before you know it you have a kid in care you dont feel you agreed to but got STUCK in a spot because you werent clear enough with the parent in the beginning.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY though: make sure the family is a good fit for you, if not... say thankyou and move on. Good Luck

Thanks everyone! The child is not coming to this one as we will see how it goes first

I don't play during the interview. I have a sheet of questions like, what are you looking for from me? What are your discipline philosophies? Have you been in daycare before, and if so why are you leaving? I go through our daily routine, how I deal with potty, how I deal with conflict, show them around the house, and go through the highlights of the "rules" in my contract and touch on why they're in place.

I then field questions, as most parents have an arsenal. As they are leaving, I thank them, tell them that I will send my contract for them to look over via email, and that we'll talk soon.

Good luck!! Have fun, be yourself, and don't agree to anything verbally before contract signing.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by colleend View Post
    Thanks everyone! The child is not coming to this one as we will see how it goes first
    I insist that the mom, baby and dad (if he's in the picture) to come to the first meeting. I don't want to like the family and then meet the baby on visit 2 and he/she's a terror! and I like to have time to see how the parents act with the child there and towards the child. All signs to look at.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    I insist that the mom, baby and dad (if he's in the picture) to come to the first meeting. I don't want to like the family and then meet the baby on visit 2 and he/she's a terror! and I like to have time to see how the parents act with the child there and towards the child. All signs to look at.
    I agree. I always insist that the child come to the meeting. I only have the ONE meeting.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I agree. I always insist that the child come to the meeting. I only have the ONE meeting.
    This is me too, interviews take up too much time to be doing multiple ones for the same family!

i agree with mamma-mia: you HAVE to meet the child, what if you like the parents and the kid is a terror. I'd rather meet at the same time that way it s not so heart breaking for you,