Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Starting to feel at home...
    I have a little one who uses formula. The parents send two empty bottles and a contained of dry formula. I just rinse the bottles out for them and they wash them at home.

As for heating up a bottle, I don't and I think it's much easier if you don't. The majority of kids will drink a bottle that isn't warm! I just keep my water on the counter so it's at room temperature--this way they aren't getting a cold bottle, but it doesn't need to be heated either.

Expansive...
    Hi! I agree with starshine, bottles do not need to be warmed...all my kids have it at room temperature. Also, pre made formula has a limited shelf life, even in the fridge so having mom send it pre made won't work. If you are short on time, or lazy like me, make the parents bring nursery water so you don't have to boil/cool water!!! It's 97 cents at Walmart so no big deal and saves lots of prep time!

Outgoing
    I dont do bottles. As far as Im concerned, a 13 month old shouldnt be using one. Neither of my children ever had one and none of my DCK do either. At this stage, I deem them unncessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by akpayne View Post
    I dont do bottles. As far as Im concerned, a 13 month old shouldnt be using one. Neither of my children ever had one and none of my DCK do either. At this stage, I deem them unncessary.
    I agree with this. My son was off them before 1 year. Just the way some people do things. she also asked that I send him to bed with the bottles for his naps. Nope. wont do that, sorry!!

Euphoric !
    I breastfed my children then they went to sippy cups, but we can't dictate to daycare parents when to stop giving their babies bottles. We have to respect the differences in opinions for the different families, it's nothing personal. That's just my opinion. I've had families stop the bottles at a year and some stop it closer to age 2.

My pet peeve are soothers and I get them weaned off of them at daycare shortly after a year of age. I just had a boy start at almost age 2 1/2 and he still had his soother 24/7!!! Thanks to me, after one month he is soother free. The Dad was on my side, it was the Mom who was enabling the little guy and once I was on the Dad's side he finally managed to make the Mom listen to reason. Surprise, after one day he never mentioned it again. Parents!

Every parent seems to be so different, I have to say though...I have only had one parent who was quite picky about it being a glass bottle and she wanted to take the bottle home every night and wash herself (bring back every am) that was ok with me, thats what she wanted. Personally though, I ask the parents to bring extra formula or breast milk frozen and I prepare it as the child needs it then I keep the bottles at my house. I find that easier, there have been times the parent has forgotten things in the am such as food, bottle...that is not a good situation to be in when you have a screaming hungry baby and no food. I always store extras of everything (clothes, diapers, wipes...baby food, formula and bottles) when I need more I give the parent about a week advance notice in time to restock. (my motto is to do what makes it easier on the parent) when they come through my door in the am they bring ONLY their child, not a plethera of things.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    As for heating up a bottle, I don't and I think it's much easier if you don't. The majority of kids will drink a bottle that isn't warm! I just keep my water on the counter so it's at room temperature--this way they aren't getting a cold bottle, but it doesn't need to be heated either.
    No offence but I cound not disagree with you more!

I can say that my daughter as a newborn up until 15months had her bottles warmed up. She would NOT drink it any other way. Room temp was not a option. Her daycare provider at the time told me afterwards that she didn't 'believe' me and would not heat up my daughters bottles...well she wondered why she wasn't eating and would leave behind more than half the bottle EVERYTIME for two weeks!!!! I told her it HAS to be warmed! She did it and the bottles were empty down to the last drop! Some things are on-average with kids but others need things their own way.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    I've had children who want their bottle cold, and some who like it room temp, and some who like it hotter than I knew babies could drink them until I asked the Mom what I was doing wrong because she didn't like her bottle here. Every single child is different and all the parents have different methods and beliefs.

Our job is to meet in the middle with the families and find a method that works for our busy days.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Agree with Momof4, although this is our business and we can choose contracts and rules, we should not try and tell parents how to raise their kids or change the way a parent takes care of their child.(however, we can choose not to take a child because we dont agree with the way they take care of or raise their child) I always make sure every parent knows, I am here to fill their shoes as best I possibly can. That includes many bottles at dif temps, or holding babies in dif positions I am willing!!! especially babies. Now as the kids get older they do learn, I do things dif than home sometimes, i.e I do not cut crust or take the peel off the apple, they adapt when they are old enough to understand, but you cant expect a baby to take a bottle at a dif temp than they are used to, they just dont understand yet.
    naturally: children drink breast milk @ body temperature, It is easier on their system to put in the same temp as their body.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post: