Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Bottles and Formula

I have a 13 month old little boy, he is currently on formula.
    What she does now is she leaves one bottle here and a can of dry formula. I make him 2 bottles a day before his naps.
    I have to obviously wash the bottle between uses to, as I normally do all my dishes at the end of the day.
    Would you tell the mother to bring made-up bottles every day and take them home dirty each day? Or just ask her to leave 2 bottles so I can make them up the night before and not wash them myself here? Am I being snippity? She tells me he is only on formula for another couple weeks and then transitioning to cows milk only. So then I think, its only a little while longer.... WWYD?

apples and bananas
    I'd ask for 2 bottles of pre mixed formula. Formula's a funny thing and needs to be exact. I would let her know that you're finding it challenging with the other kids, and until the little ones on cows milk it would be helpful if she brought 2 bottles pre made for you per day. I send bottles home rinsed out. If I'm handwashing dishes at some point I'll wash them to, but not as a rule.

Euphoric !
    I would definitely ask her to send them pre-filled and send them home for washing at the end of the day. And if he is still having 2 bottles of whole milk when he switches, I would have her fill those and send them too. I have parents fill and prepare all bottles until the child is using cups.

Expansive...
    I would have asked at the beginning that the bottles be pre made as well, then just keep them in the fridge until it's time to warm them up. Then I would rinse and send home.
    Being as he's only going to be on formula for another 2 weeks though, I think I would just let it go and deal with it

I agree I ask for the bottles to come prepared and ready to go ~ when you have a full house every little bit of things to make it 'easier' is helpful for sure.

Clients are asked to keep 'emergency formula' here if something happened and they needed more than the 2-3 they normally drink in a day ~ but outside of that I am busy enough without having to clean and prep bottles for the kiddies!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    I get two bottles with the formula already in it I just add the water. I then rinse out the bottle (to not stink) and pack it away. I tell the parents I do not wash your bottles "because I know you want to make sure its clean your way" lol When milk/homo starts unless it's in a sippy cup the parents provide the bottles.

I wouldn't say anything now if it's only a few more weeks to go.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    Okay, ill stick it out, being there is only a couple more weeks to go.
    Just out of curiousity, how would you all warm up a formula bottle?

Expansive...
    I do the hot/boiling water for 5-7min (depending) because the one's baby DCg has are the drop-in-liner bottles and the thin plastic of the "bags" heat up very quickly.

Now when my daugher was on bottles her's were the Born Free ones and it's a thicker plastic that took over 15min to heat up! When a baby is hungry 15min seems like 4hrs! At that point I'd try to time it so it's ready before but 80% of the time I microwaved it...25sec! I'd make sure that the only thing going in was the bottle and shake it up very well.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    I warm bottles with hot water as well..the recommendation now is not to use the microwave for babies bottles. However, that said, I try to get them used to unwarmed bottles as soon as possible and it usually doesn't take long...they don't need it warmed at the age of 13 months!

This is one area where I do not have a 'policy' I do whatever the parent does at home ... so either the microwave or the boiling water in a glass container or a bottle warmer they supply.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi